Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

300k rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300k rebuild

Alright, first post and I know it's probably already been discussed, I have a small head gasket leak and I put some blue devil in it for now, it's winter, I'm hoping it'll last through the cold months then I plan on fixing it properly. My question is should I motor swap or do a rebuild? Truck is a 97 and has 302k on it as of now. I can't decide between doing a rebuild myself, motor swapping or just say f it and get another f150 or a f250. Price isn't the issue just time to do the build myself with me working seconds. Another question I have is should I just do a top half rebuild or do the entire motor.. looking at possibly upgrading from stock just don't know where to begin looking for options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

whats the condition of the rest of your truck?

At 300K, unless its really good condition, and you WANT to keep the truck several more years, it wont pay to fix it at all.

At the time I put a reman engine in mine at 200K, I spent about $7000 total on it doing things like brakes, ball joints, interior, seat heaters, backup camera, new seat cover, tires, etc. That was 2.3 yrs, 47K ago. Only spent $150 since on alternator. Ive broken even on the $4400 for engine replacement now. Way I see it, even a newer used vehicle will depreciate by almost 2000 per year. I dont want to be fixing things all the time, so fix everything at once, then just drive it several years.

One looming issue is at 300k, you can likely expect transmission replacement during the life cycle of another engine. Which skews the economics toward just get another truck . Of course in good condition, you can replace both with used items for a couple thousand, and drive for several more years.

Last edited by mbb; 12-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mbb
whats the condition of the rest of your truck?

At 300K, unless its really good condition, and you WANT to keep the truck several more years, it wont pay to fix it at all.

At the time I put a reman engine in mine at 200K, I spent about $7000 total on it doing things like brakes, ball joints, interior, seat heaters, backup camera, new seat cover, tires, etc. That was 2.3 yrs, 47K ago. Only spent $150 since on alternator. Ive broken even on the $4400 for engine replacement now. Way I see it, even a newer used vehicle will depreciate by almost 2000 per year. I dont want to be fixing things all the time, so fix everything at once, then just drive it several years.

One looming issue is at 300k, you can likely expect transmission replacement during the life cycle of another engine. Which skews the economics toward just get another truck . Of course in good condition, you can replace both with used items for a couple thousand, and drive for several more years.
I forgot to add that it is the 4.6

But the rest of the truck is in great shape, transmission was just done 5k ago, new alternator, spark plus,wires, and coils, manifolds recently upgraded to flowtech shortie headers,new egr valve and tube, new water pump, ball joints have been done, only issue I'm having now is u joint going out, and now white smoke from exhaust at idle, my brothers a GM mechanic and he's looked at it and said he doesn't believe it's a head gasket but I'm under the impression that it is because I have no idea what else would cause white smoke, it's not losing coolant, no bubbles in the fluid when at temp with cap off, no sweet smell, no lose of power either
Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

If you think your head gaskets leaking and you pretty much have to lose coolant at some point. Manifold gasket leak is very very similar. Your deepest vacuum is at idle and so that's when your leak will be the worst and it will just suck coolant right into the intake but you will lose coolant at some very low rate

If you've done all that work and your trucks in good shape then sounds like a good candidate to fix whatever it takes and keep driving it
Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-csmhp795-000

This is the kit I'm looking at for the rebuild, unless someone can suggest something that would be a better upgrade, and I can't decide if I want to rebuild the bottom half and redo the cams and crank or not.. I do know after rebuilding I'm adding cold air intake, and upgrading injectors
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Phelps
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-csmhp795-000

This is the kit I'm looking at for the rebuild, unless someone can suggest something that would be a better upgrade, and I can't decide if I want to rebuild the bottom half and redo the cams and crank or not.. I do know after rebuilding I'm adding cold air intake, and upgrading injectors
For a basically stock rebuild, that kit looks just fine.

At 300,000 miles? I'd certainly redo the bottom end. Not to do so would, in my opinion, be insanity. If you're getting a cold-air intake, make sure it's not a "hot-air" intake. Air should be drawn from the fenderwell, not from under the hood. Finally, what do you mean my "upgraded injectors?" Bigger (more flow) injectors won't work unless you have a tuner, and are unnecessary unless you've done things to greatly increase the engine's fuel requirements.

Just a thought: For a little bump in power, you could consider getting the 99-03 PI heads.

All that said, good luck with the project!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

If it were me I would pick up a 97-98 5.4 stick with the same piston dish and throw on some 03 PI heads and call it a day.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:14 AM

Actually does anyone have links to crate motors that would fit in my f150?
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Phelps
Actually does anyone have links to crate motors that would fit in my f150?
Just contact your local ford dealership. Ford actually just went back to run testing every replacement motor before it leaves. They come pretty much completed minus the upper intake and some other stuff, hell they even have an oil filter and oil in the motor. They're between 3,500-4K with a 3 year / 100k mike warranty and if they can get the old motor back within the order month they won't charge you the core.

Last edited by 02_Black_On_White; 12-16-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Price isn't an issue ? One place comes to mind, - Ford Racing. You can look that up easy enough. You must really like these trucks

Quick Reply: 300k rebuild