Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 F150 XLT Crank No-start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 F150 XLT Crank No-start

2003 F150 XLT 5.4, ~200k miles, new crate engine about 30k miles ago.

FYI: I can turn a wrench well with instruction, but am otherwise a novice when it comes to automotive repair. I've exhausted my google fu and tried several fixes I've found on this site and others but have run out of options, hence this post. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I bought this truck a couple months ago with a very intermittent crank no-start problem. No trouble codes. The previous owner had quote "Everything with fuel in the title" (including the pump) replaced by his private mechanic and had the truck at the Ford dealership for a week or two, all to no avail. Ford told him the fuel pressure was good and that it was getting spark. Basically, if you cranked it 3-4 times (allowing the fuel pump to hit each time) it would eventually start up. Sometimes it would fire up on the first attempt. The truck runs just fine once it starts-- no lag in acceleration or rough idle as far as I can tell. Doesn't matter if the truck had just been running or not, it usually wouldn't start on the first try. Truck is otherwise in perfect working order and has been well-cared for.

The problem progressively got worse (requiring more turning the key and triggering the pump) until it would no longer start. On a suggestion, I replaced the fuel filter, even though the old one was only a few months old. This solved the problem IMMEDIATELY. I mean, fired right up 5-6 times in a row and worked great for a couple of days. Then, the no-start began again, at first requiring 2-3 key turns, and progressively more over the next week or so. I then simply disconnected the fuel filter (tank side) and reattached it. Again, this IMMEDIATELY solved the issue for a couple days until the problem rebounded.

Now (a week later) it won't start at all (still cranks) and I'm stumped. I thought perhaps there was sludge in the tank so I cut open the old filter and it appears completely clean. The only other theories I have are something clogging the fuel pump intake screen, a bad check valve on the fuel pump allowing back flow (meaning the original was bad as well?), or some sort of bad air/fuel pressure in the tank/line. Again, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so any advice is appreciated.

I have also replaced/checked
-Battery harness (old one had corrosion near the battery)
-Ignition switch
-PATS (I don't remember all the steps, but I believe I ruled this out)
-TPS sensor
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Battery voltage is good (no drop on startup)
-Fuses all tested good (fuel pump fuse replaced)
-Starter voltage is good (no drop on startup)
-Probably some other things I'm forgetting
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by d.tuck2112
2003 F150 XLT 5.4, ~200k miles, new crate engine about 30k miles ago.

FYI: I can turn a wrench well with instruction, but am otherwise a novice when it comes to automotive repair. I've exhausted my google fu and tried several fixes I've found on this site and others but have run out of options, hence this post. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I bought this truck a couple months ago with a very intermittent crank no-start problem. No trouble codes. The previous owner had quote "Everything with fuel in the title" (including the pump) replaced by his private mechanic and had the truck at the Ford dealership for a week or two, all to no avail. Ford told him the fuel pressure was good and that it was getting spark. Basically, if you cranked it 3-4 times (allowing the fuel pump to hit each time) it would eventually start up. Sometimes it would fire up on the first attempt. The truck runs just fine once it starts-- no lag in acceleration or rough idle as far as I can tell. Doesn't matter if the truck had just been running or not, it usually wouldn't start on the first try. Truck is otherwise in perfect working order and has been well-cared for.

The problem progressively got worse (requiring more turning the key and triggering the pump) until it would no longer start. On a suggestion, I replaced the fuel filter, even though the old one was only a few months old. This solved the problem IMMEDIATELY. I mean, fired right up 5-6 times in a row and worked great for a couple of days. Then, the no-start began again, at first requiring 2-3 key turns, and progressively more over the next week or so. I then simply disconnected the fuel filter (tank side) and reattached it. Again, this IMMEDIATELY solved the issue for a couple days until the problem rebounded.

Now (a week later) it won't start at all (still cranks) and I'm stumped. I thought perhaps there was sludge in the tank so I cut open the old filter and it appears completely clean. The only other theories I have are something clogging the fuel pump intake screen, a bad check valve on the fuel pump allowing back flow (meaning the original was bad as well?), or some sort of bad air/fuel pressure in the tank/line. Again, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so any advice is appreciated.

I have also replaced/checked
-Battery harness (old one had corrosion near the battery)
-Ignition switch
-PATS (I don't remember all the steps, but I believe I ruled this out)
-TPS sensor
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Battery voltage is good (no drop on startup)
-Fuses all tested good (fuel pump fuse replaced)
-Starter voltage is good (no drop on startup)
-Probably some other things I'm forgetting
I had this happen twice to my old 03 and once it was the key and another was fuel relay. Also after you it’s gets hard to start to rule out fuel check the pressure. If it comes out good then it’s probably not fuel related. Btw to check it there is a tire pressure thing on the top of your fuel rail on the left side of your motor, press on it with something to see if it comes out good.

Last edited by Chase1996; 01-22-2019 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
d.tuck2112 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 6,468 Likes on 4,606 Posts

I had a chunk of glue come off a (Fram) fuel filter and get lodged in the fuel line. Just guessing here, but possibly when you disconnect the filter, the fuel is allowed to flow reverse and possibly dislodge anything stuck in there..... then over time, it works its way back up the line and causes a slow/no start condition. Have you taken fuel pressure readings when this is and isn't happening?

I took this video 7 years ago with a flip phone... LOL. Sorry for the poor quality, but you get the idea.....

The following users liked this post:
d.tuck2112 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 AM

Okay, I'll hit O'Reilly in the morning, rent a pressure test kit, and see what it's actually getting for pressure.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

let us know what the pressure is
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM

Ok, got the pressure tester hooked up. With each key turn, PSI goes up maybe .3-.5. Finally got it up to 30 PSI and it starts up, maintaining 30 PSI. Turned off and no immediate drop in PSI. Started up several more times immediately after that, maintaining 30 PSI. Truck has been off for ~10 min now and PSI is 28-29.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Any other tricks/troubleshooting I can do with this hooked up?

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 XLT Crank No-start