Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 F150 headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 F150 headlight issues

The headlights and tail lights are turning on when the vehicle is completely shut down. Even if the light switch is in the off position; lights will turn on a few seconds after its locked and they will stay on for hours. Is this a problem with the alarm being to sensitive or is it a headlamp relay being stuck?

Its bright in Austin tonight - i just had to pull fuses to shut it down.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GEM module more then likely, having somewhat same kinda stuff myself right now
The following users liked this post:
Mark Kalish (05-31-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Do you have any water standing on the floor after it rains? Did your headlight problems show up when it rains or all the time? Last question.....have you had the windshield replaced, or if not, have you tweaked your truck any that could cause the butyl rubber to separate from sealing to leaking? (I did on mine, by taking it off road and hitting a really hard bump it seams).
Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Check the upper corners of your windshield for movement. TONS of 10th gen trucks have leaking windshields. Mine was bad enough to where I could push the drivers side upper windshield out 3-4" with my hand with little to no effort.

Windshield leaks run right down onto the GEM causing all sorts of funky issues... like yours.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

My Expy leaked in the lower part of the windshield pillar on the drivers side. I've got a sneaking suspicion it still has a little leak somewhere though. Oliver sudden my washer fluid button doesn't work.... and the MF switch is brand new.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
Check the upper corners of your windshield for movement. TONS of 10th gen trucks have leaking windshields. Mine was bad enough to where I could push the drivers side upper windshield out 3-4" with my hand with little to no effort.

Windshield leaks run right down onto the GEM causing all sorts of funky issues... like yours.

This^^^^ My 10th gen leaked on the GEM and tried to start itself without a key even in it. I thought someone was trying to steal it. Had to pull the battery cable off to get it to stop. Also had the headlights go out, all the interior lights come on, and the wipers stopped working while driving in the rain at 5am in the dark! That was scary! Ended up costing me a new flywheel, and starter.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe will help- my mountaineer does that all the time...open and shut the doors again fixes it for a while
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigger432
maybe will help- my mountaineer does that all the time...open and shut the doors again fixes it for a while
Tried that a few times with no luck unfortunately thanks for the suggestion though. Also reset it and no luck just does the same thing. Goes into programming mode before you release the unlock button acts like it's working and when you exit programming nothing works. But it will resync it by pressing both lock and unlock so it finds and sees the remotes fine just not working to unlock, lock. The doors. starting to think a dealership trip in the future may be my only option and I never go there.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
My Expy leaked in the lower part of the windshield pillar on the drivers side. I've got a sneaking suspicion it still has a little leak somewhere though. Oliver sudden my washer fluid button doesn't work.... and the MF switch is brand new.
Originally Posted by BadFish523
This^^^^ My 10th gen leaked on the GEM and tried to start itself without a key even in it. I thought someone was trying to steal it. Had to pull the battery cable off to get it to stop. Also had the headlights go out, all the interior lights come on, and the wipers stopped working while driving in the rain at 5am in the dark! That was scary! Ended up costing me a new flywheel, and starter.
Man! I'm gonna keep the GEM from the '99 as a spare!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Just make sure the windshield is sealed properly and you most likely won't have any problems.