Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 5.4 water line routing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 5.4 water line routing?

I just replaced my intake manifold and I had to swap in a little pipe nipple for a small water tube (from old manifold) ...... which I can not remember/figure out where it goes? The only unused line is a vac line from the PCV side of the throttle body where a bunch of lines tree together...... it can't be where that connects to - but it's curved right and is the right size!? I'm baffled..... I don't see any other small lines that I took off that should carry water....?

So I guess I need 2 things - the vac line routing for the PCV lines - and the coolant line routing.....

Most of the video's I can find that plug is capped off or no good views of the routing......
Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bad69cat
I just replaced my intake manifold and I had to swap in a little pipe nipple for a small water tube (from old manifold) ...... which I can not remember/figure out where it goes? The only unused line is a vac line from the PCV side of the throttle body where a bunch of lines tree together...... it can't be where that connects to - but it's curved right and is the right size!? I'm baffled..... I don't see any other small lines that I took off that should carry water....? ....
I rerouted all my lines on the passenger side to gain access to the plugs.
The "small" coolant hoses are used to heat the ends of the PCV line.
There is a U shaped tube wrapped around the PCV valve for the coolant to run thru.
The PCV hose line going into the throttle body will connect to a "block" with a 3/8" vacuum port and 2 ports for the coolant to pass thru.
Not sure exactly why the PCV line ends needs to be heated, maybe for extreme cold areas.
I think for most areas the "small" coolant lines can be deleted.
The following users liked this post:
bad69cat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&TBabich
I rerouted all my lines on the passenger side to gain access to the plugs.
The "small" coolant hoses are used to heat the ends of the PCV line.
There is a U shaped tube wrapped around the PCV valve for the coolant to run thru.
The PCV hose line going into the throttle body will connect to a "block" with a 3/8" vacuum port and 2 ports for the coolant to pass thru.
Not sure exactly why the PCV line ends needs to be heated, maybe for extreme cold areas.
I think for most areas the "small" coolant lines can be deleted.
Really? Well - that sure looks like where it wanted to go - but made 0 sense? Ill pull the other end tomorrow night and see if it is really a dead end? Just seems odd...... maybe the TB needs a little heat during the cold days but that seems minuscule in function...... in the good old days they used manifold heat and a heat sensitive spring - but I guess a computer is the "spring" now... I don't think it would hurt it to plug it up if I don't see any benefit. THX