Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 2wd XLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2wd XLT

I have a 2003 ford f-150 XLT 2wd. I am interested in adding a leveling kit or a coil spring lift to accommodate 33 inch tires. I currently have 16" rims, i plan to upgrade to 17" along with the larger tires.

I would like to make certain before i make any purchases, what will i need to do to run 33" tires without a suspension lift? Or how big can i go if 33" tires are not possible?

My budget has a little wiggle room. Any suggestions or possible options would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

Cheapest way - 2" coil spacer leveling kit

Better ride - 2" lift coils

3" body lift - will fit 33s but wont be level

Best ride, best look - 3.5" lift spindle kit (3.5" lift spindles up front, 2" block in the rear to level, usually comes with new shocks) looks like a leveled 4x4 and looks great with 33s

All of these options will fit 33" tires however you can go a little wider with the 3.5" spindle lift.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
DM61 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

^What he said

With a 2wd it's pretty simple haha. My .02 worth...if your at all worried about the ride, don't want a rougher ride, do the spindle. Keeps most everything like it should be while giving you plenty room for the tires. Ofcourse it costs the most...but if your going to do just 1 thing, lift wise, i'd go with that.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Default 2003 xlt

Is there any problems that arise when using a 2" coil spring lift, and a 3" spindle lift in combination together?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM

that's what me and greenhead both are running. I don't know specifics for him so I won't speak for him but as far as on my truck I haven't had much problem other than the ball joints are at a rough angle now. I had to replace them last year...that however could've been a problem started before I put the lift on. I have heard though do NOT combine the spacer and lift coil. You have to replace other components to even do it and even then isn't good. They make some kind of "cam kit" that I admit I don't know much about that is supposed to put all the geometry in the front end back closer to stock but I haven't looked to much into it yet. But it definately wouldn't hurt to look into that kind of thing if your going to do this style lift.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM

The reason i have decided to put the lift on now is because my ball joints are already worn down and need to be replaced, so i figured i could kill two birds with one stone and have the mechanic install the lift while the front end is already taken apart.

I planned on using the rough country 2" leveling coil springs, as well as the 3" rough country spindles and a 3" block in the rear. also new rough country hydro 8000 shocks in the front in back.

Do you think this set up will work? or do you have any suggestions/advice. its greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah that setup will work great. I havent had any abnormal ball joint or front end wear, im running moog upper and lower ball joints and they seem to hold up the best. I am running 2" coil spacers instead of lift springs but its the same effect

Also, if you plan on running offroad. I recommend getting shock boots for those rough country shocks, i installed the rough country kit for someone awhile back and they didnt come with them. They are cheap and will help provent shock wear from dirt and sand getting on shaft and wearing the seal prematurley.

Last edited by greenheadkiller98; 02-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by greenheadkiller98
im running moog upper and lower ball joints and they seem to hold up the best.
That's what I put on when I replaced the stock set. Glad to hear good feedback on them
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DM61
The reason i have decided to put the lift on now is because my ball joints are already worn down and need to be replaced, so i figured i could kill two birds with one stone and have the mechanic install the lift while the front end is already taken apart.

I planned on using the rough country 2" leveling coil springs, as well as the 3" rough country spindles and a 3" block in the rear. also new rough country hydro 8000 shocks in the front in back.

Do you think this set up will work? or do you have any suggestions/advice. its greatly appreciated, thank you.
Only thing I will say is you may want to go with a 4" block instead of 3". Or add a shackle lift on the rear with the 3". I have the 3.5" spindle and even then with the 4" block it lacks about a inch or so being level with the front.

However with you only doing a 3" spindle the 4" should be spot on perfect with it. That is if your truck settles and sits like mine did. Every truck is a touch different. Greenheads truck looks like he got much more lift out of the spacers than I did. That's why I swapped to the full coil springs
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Im running 2" coil spacers, 3.5" lift spindles

4" rear blocks and 1.5" lift shackle

and it sits exactly 40" on both wheel wells to the ground although it looks like it has a SLIGHTTT rake in person (i like that cus i tow and haul alot) but its not raking because both fenderwells are exactly the same height

Quick Reply: 2003 2wd XLT