Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2002 S'Crew died yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 S'Crew died yesterday.

Truck is a 2002 Supercrew, 5.4 2WD, full tow package and has 118,000 miles on it.

On the road, doing my son a favor of pulling a UHaul trailer for him while moving half a state a way... The oil pressure dropped to zero and the oil light came on. Pulled over, shut down. restarted and the pressure was back and light off. Headed down the road, but it wasn't long before it did it again. Again, stopped, checked things out. Decided to continue, thinking maybe I had a dieing pressure sensor. Stopped for fuel. Checked the oil. I had topped off earlier in the day. And still was full. Continued down the road, made it about 20 miles when again, pressure dropped. But this time, I had tapping in the engine. Not bad, but still... And as I pulled over, it shut off. THIS was the first time the service engine soon light finally came on. But, the engine did start again and I shut it off immediately.

If you read through all that, my thinking is I have sludge or other crud that kept getting picked up and held against the oil pickup screen. Or at least I hope its that and not a dead oil pump. So, rather than just doing an oil change and hope everything comes out, I'd like to drop the oil pan. How hard is it to get the oil pan out? I can't just walk outside and check it out as the truck is 200 miles away, and I'm looking to transport it home before doing anything more. And I SURE don't a dealership to get their hands on it...

I'm finally looking though the forum, but the truck has been so trouble free over the last 8 years, I've concentrated on my other vehicles (Jeeps and such...). I don't tow with it often, But when I do, it could be a Jeep, or more recently my son's Explorer. For smaller trailers I usually use my own Grand Cherokee.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 AM

OK, so I guess nobody has had an oil issue... That might be good then.

I'll start with, a really good friend on a local forum made my day when he offered to get my truck most of the way here for me. So yesterday, he picked it and towed it the 200 miles to his parents house. That put the truck 60 miles from me and another friend drove me over to get it. The truck was home and I have 2 great friends to thank for that. The trailer it was on had a damaged taillight, so I put a new one on for my friend (I also made sure all the contacts were clean and there weren't any other electrical problems to address). And one of his straps was looking a little ragged, so I bought him a new one. Least I can do for such a huge favor.

So this morning I drained the oil, and nothing of any note came out... But the filter was fairly solid inside when I pushed a screwdriver through it. Not sure I liked that.

New Motocraft filter, a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and topped of with 5W20. Started with no issue, ran good, no odd noises. Let it run for a while, shut down, checked fluids. Changed the filter. Topped off again. And took it for a drive. NO issues. Almost like nothing had been wrong. Tried running gently, revving it, cruising around town in second, flooring (cop laughed at me squeeling the tires, I should have had a ticket...). Never had the oil gauge drop, or the oil light on. So I'm thinking I had a clogged filter. Not good no matter how you look at it though. So, I don't trust it yet, I'm going to drive around town for a bit in the morning pulling the trailer it came home on. Before another friend comes to help me take the trailer back.

I figure I hadn't had an issues before pulling a trailer, maybe a stress test will help me decide to do anything more, or just change oil and filter next weekend and be happy. I *DO* want to get a good pressure gauge to see what my oil pressure really is though. Anyone know where to tap a real gauge into the 5.4?

Last edited by zjrog; 08-14-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How religious are you with oil changes? Also just guessing you are not using synthetic blend oil. These motors are sensitive to sludge and do have some very small oil passages that can easily get clogged so maybe the duration of the trip broke some build up loose and blocked a passage causing the experience you had.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Actually, I'm not as religious as I have been in the past with the oil changes. I should know better. Blah blah. The point is I screwed up, and seem to have dodged a big bullet here. With all my other vehicles and issues, this one was running fine and I just got complacent, See what I get? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Has the truck ALWAYS had motorcraft oil filter used on it?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
Has the truck ALWAYS had motorcraft oil filter used on it?
O great haha, the question i hate to see you ask, makes me worry about my truck more and more
Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its never dead till the frame is bent enough and drain the oil 1st and it should be easy buy note I have never dropped 1 on a f150 I'm used to engine stands. If you have time (if you want to and can afford to) pull it out and do the job you have to do and paint your motor if you want.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 AM

Yes, Motorcraft filters only.

This morning I took a really big chance. I had to return the trailer that brought my truck home, and the friend that was going to tow it back for me took ill. Well. Either sheer stupidity or boldness hit me, and I used the S'Crew to take the trailer back. My buddy was shocked to see what I did, since it was a 120 miles round trip... But I had no issues and everything was good. If I had thought an oil change would have made it easy to get the truck home, I wouldn't have had to deal with the drama of the week.

I agree Sleeper... And, at the risk throwing too many pics of what I've been up to in the last couple years, here is quick look. I will say though, that my worst case was to either rebuild a junkyard motor, or pull this one and rebuild it too. I have my own engine lift and stand too... And welder and implements of destruction/construction....

My S'Crew before we left the Mojave desert for Utah.

My Neon. It has different wheels now and some projector headlights.

My 95 Grand Cherokee, 3" lift and 31s.

1990 Cherokee 4x4, mostly stock, saved from the junkyard for my daughter, and since she didn't wreck in the first year we painted it. John Deere Yellow. That was 2 years ago, before her first year in college. Later this week, its on its way again to take her to college, but this year, she is going further away... Good truck. I even like driving it.

Last year I bought this 94 Explorer for $350. In great shape except for a dead A4LD. I dropped about $400 in parts and rebuilt my first automatic. Gave it to my son for his 21st B'day. He has put well over 15,000 miles on that trans since I gave it to him, I GUESS I did OK...

Ongoing project. 1990 Ranger, 2.3 5 speed 4x4. It was painted the same week as the Cherokee. And we drove it around a bit before it got put on the back burner, again.

We started a cab swap, built new motor mounts since the 2.3 stockers fail regularly, and let the motor flop around loose. We swapped out the old Skyjacker lift brackets for newer Tough Country parts. Including extended radius arms. The list goes on and on, but am seriously considering a SAS with a Dana 30 and long arms. But first, I need to replace the slave cylinder so I can drive it some more. The 31s were also replaced for 33s...

Other projects,

1972 Starcraft Starlite tent trailer. Mild restoration about done, but plans for next year include uprated axle with brakes and bigger tires and wheels, the Jeep will be the preferred tow vehicle, but the S'Crew will get it places too.

1963 Bonham Tote Gote. A Utah original. The guy that towed my S'Crew most of the way home the other day used to own this minibike, or I should say it was his family's and he rode it as a kid. I've had it for over a year and I came by it after it passed through other hands. These were designed for hunters and sportsman to get them into the backcountry and for carrying out game.

Hope to have the trailer and minibike usable before I have my knee replacement surgery in October...

So, I've been pretty busy the last few years, and the S'Crew was never an issue. I feel I may have dodged a BIG bullet. Enjoy the pics, mostly just to reinforce that I'm sort of mechanically inclined.

Last edited by zjrog; 08-15-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2 projects my s10 and my f150

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Well prolly just a faulty filter then....I guess no one is perfect....that's good news tho....and yeah where do you find time to do all those projects? Your wife must be pissed haha

Quick Reply: 2002 S'Crew died yesterday.