Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2002 4.6l F150 2wd - Excessive pingnig

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2002 4.6l F150 2wd - Excessive pingnig

Hi All,

I have the vehicle mentioned above with ~200k miles on it. Always been a good reliable truck, but lately I've been experiencing very excessive pinging.

Sometimes it's so bad the truck about sounds like a diesel! It's the worst when under moderate load at moderate speed. Say accelerating from 40 to 60 up a slight incline .. If I let off the gas the pinging will go away, or if I apply substantial throttle, it will usually go away. But it comes right back.

I've always run regular (87 ish) octane with no problem.

I would prefer to continue running regular gas, but I will try the mid grade and see if that helps.

I've read a couple other threads where some folks suggest running some injector cleaner or sea foam through to clean things up. Or where someone suggests "running mid or high octane will only mask the real problem, you need to find the root cause." What are some typical root causes of this? Where can or should I start looking for a cure?

Thanks Y'all ..

Chris
Old 11-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

I would run 93 octane along with the big bottle of techron additive. If that clears it up and runs good you will probably need to change the engine knock sensor. It is located under the intake manifold.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pinging=predetonation, little internal explosions happening out of time with the cycling of the piston. Higher octane gas will definitely help. To me, there's a noticeable difference even between running 87 and 89 in my truck.

Fill up and do a seafoam treatment. You can add it to your gas, but I would also recommend adding it to your oil.

Fuel additives can be awesome or worthless, watch out. Make sure you know what it is you're adding...

Of course, if you do it all at once, you'll have no idea what actually helped or didn't.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.6l F150 2wd - Excessive pingnig