Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 V6 4.2 auto F150 no power AT ALL at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V6 4.2 auto F150 no power AT ALL at low rpms

basically truck idles good, once i apply any amount of throttle it lags a bit.
as soon as i put it in gear rpm drop below 1k and never come up at all.
as i give it gas it struggles more, until i let off the throttle seems like the engine catches up or theres a momentary sweet spot where the truck feels normal and moves forward about a foot than back to the usual struggling.
it really happened out of nowhere.

any suggestions.. i feel that ive exhausted all my options i can think of.. only thing i can think of is taking it to the dealership and having there shop investigate the issue soo please if there's anyone that can point me in the right direction? okay, so i have a f150 automatic with about 80k miles. out of no where it just lost all power.
i have since replaced the camshaft sensor and synchronizer together
(it was all chewed up from the sensor falling apart inside).

replaced the the dpfe sensor aswell as another sensor thats attached to the passenger side of intake manifold with two lines running.
(1 vacuum line runs behind intake towards another sensor on driverside near brake booster that i couldnt locate at oreily or autozone).
it does react when i disconnect that same plug on that sensors aswell as all other sensors. (idle becomes rough).

i've had the tps sensor replaced, and a sensor on the of the manifold near the throttle body i dont recall the name of it.
ive disconnected the exhaust manifolds before the cats.
cleaned and tested maf.
seafoamed the hell out of the vacuum lines and intake manifold..
i removed throttle body and attacked it with seafoam and q-tips and it is not clogged at all.
i've removed all intake manifold vacuum lines while truck idles to check for pressure and vacuum pressure is present (strong vacuum pressure actually)
i also checked a T-valve near the battery and it has strong vacuum pressure aswell.
coil pack, plug wire set, spark plugs all new.
new egr valve.
new fuel filter, pump primes and pressurizes well.

the truck basically idles a little rough, has no power at all once its in gear it struggles alot. in park it struggles to rev up once it revs to about 3k or higher it smooths out a little bit. not driveable at all at this point i'm out of ideas.

Last edited by rex7enguy; 04-30-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
rebuilder

Default Sounds like you lost a cylinder...

1) plug checks if not coil, but essex motor 2001 so maybe plugs or distributor
2) timing check - could have jumped a tooth on chain or stretched
3) motor is done - rebuild
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM

i'm sorry i didnt mention but its got new plugs, cables and coil pack aswells. i felt that there wasnt a strong enough spark to begin with so i replaced that before anything else.
i'll check but i dont think i have a distributor on mine? its got a coil pack. i'll check on timing. thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 V6 4.2 auto F150 no power AT ALL at low rpms