Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Just bought a 2001 SuperCrew, as the title suggests. Nice looking truck, with 277,000 miles. Truck runs great, and has a very straight body.

Only rust I've found is the rocker panels and cab corners. Only see one small dent in the tailgate. Interior is in very nice shape, and is very comfortable. Wife loves the extra room and the ride. Truck handles really well, very surprising for a truck.

Have a few things to repair, first is the fuel tank (see my previous post on the F150 fuel tank and rollover valve). Tank is leaking at the seams. Found a replacement tank on Amazon
here. here.
Also looking at the fuel pump listed in the suggestions
here. here.
, as well as the new straps. Not sure if this is a good fuel pump or not. Need to make sure it is the right one, also. I will need to get the valves out without breaking them. I found a video on Youtube that showed how to remove and replace the tank.Will need to get the line removal tool also.

Also noticed that the odometer is not working right. After some searching, found out that this is a common problem on these. Saw where it was a cold solder joint, so that is on the list to fix. Also will need to fix the drivers window, which seems to move a bit when lowered or raised. Looks like may need to put in a new track...doesn't sound like fun.

Would like to find a link to an online service manual to help make it easier to work on. Would be nice if I could find one like Subaru has...files go all the way back into the 90's. Very handy to have.

Overall, I am very impressed with this truck. First Ford I've had in years...big improvement over the 78 Bronco. Runs much better than the 351M it had, and better mileage (not knocking the 351M, just noticing how much things have changed). Was a good mudding truck, but not a lot of power. Pretty normal for that era.

Can't wait to get it cleaned up and looking really good. Need to repaint the visor, and replace the vent shades with new ones. Will look really sharp after a wax job.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by olds442; 05-21-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

I would not get that pump, you will be replacing it again shortly. Get a better pump. Most will say to go with a Motorcraft one, and while a good pump, it is costly.
I got a Delphi pump (
THIS ONE THIS ONE
) almost 3 years ago and no problems so far.
Don't forget to get a fuel filter as well.
No idea on the quality of the tank.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,615 Posts

Agreed! I'd go with Motorcraft or Carter. I trust Blu's judgement on the Delphi. This says it all....

Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Agreed! I'd go with Motorcraft or Carter. I trust Blu's judgement on the Delphi. This says it all....
LOL, I did not even look at the reviews, but does not surprise me one bit.

Delphi is the OEM for GM, so figured it would be a reliable option.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM
mbb

Received 897 Likes on 738 Posts

$39 for pump and sender....what could go wrong?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help! I looked at the Delphi pump, and it is built so much better than the first one I looked at, or even the Spectra premium. So it looks like my choices will be the Spectra 44B tank, the Delphi HP10089-11B1 pump, Spectra fuel tank straps, a Motorcraft FG-1114 filter, and a fuel line removal tool. All that should work.

Parts ordered. Tank won't be in until next Wednesday, but that will give me time to get the old one out. Was going to order the tank from Rock Auto, but shipping would have been even longer, and more expensive.

BTW, I've read where I should consider bending that lip on the tank down, in order for the straps to fit correctly. I think that's why the tank rusted out in the first place, because all the dirt and debris were trapped on the lip. Is it a good idea to do this?

Last edited by olds442; 05-21-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew