Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 F150 Modification Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 Modification Help

So I just purchased my first vehicle, a 2001 F-150. I have a couple ideas that I want to run by you guys and see what you think.
First off is the motor. The Ford 4.6L 2V is an impressive little motor (not as good as a 3V or 4V) but has some power potential. I'm looking for about 400 horsepower so I can keep up (and beat) my buddies girly imports (that I built from the ground up). I'm open to doing turbos but I would rather make the power n/a so when I upgrade to turbos it adds even more power. I would like to keep the stock long block. So that leaves the top end to work on.
Next up: What do you guys think about stacks on a gassy? I think they might look cool. Does anyone have any pictures to show? And I'm going to put glassy's (glasspacks) before the stacks. If stacks don't look good I'm thinking side exits (nascar style) with an H - pipe somewhere.
I know I want to do a 9 inch swap eventually but maybe not right off. Temporarily I'm going to put 3.08 rear gears in the 8.8 to lower the revs (hopefully). I also want to tune the transmission where 55 is achieved somewhere in low rpm ranges (like 1700 or under) for the highway.
I'm thinking a flat black paint job because everybody has a red 1997-2003 F150. Also a light bar, brush guard, and either a leveling kit or 2 inch lift would be installed (can't make up my mind if you want to help with that too).
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLGORE
So I just purchased my first vehicle, a 2001 F-150. I have a couple ideas that I want to run by you guys and see what you think.
First off is the motor. The Ford 4.6L 2V is an impressive little motor (not as good as a 3V or 4V) but has some power potential. I'm looking for about 400 horsepower so I can keep up (and beat) my buddies girly imports (that I built from the ground up). I'm open to doing turbos but I would rather make the power n/a so when I upgrade to turbos it adds even more power. I would like to keep the stock long block. So that leaves the top end to work on.
Next up: What do you guys think about stacks on a gassy? I think they might look cool. Does anyone have any pictures to show? And I'm going to put glassy's (glasspacks) before the stacks. If stacks don't look good I'm thinking side exits (nascar style) with an H - pipe somewhere.
I know I want to do a 9 inch swap eventually but maybe not right off. Temporarily I'm going to put 3.08 rear gears in the 8.8 to lower the revs (hopefully). I also want to tune the transmission where 55 is achieved somewhere in low rpm ranges (like 1700 or under) for the highway.
I'm thinking a flat black paint job because everybody has a red 1997-2003 F150. Also a light bar, brush guard, and either a leveling kit or 2 inch lift would be installed (can't make up my mind if you want to help with that too).
1. Stacks shouldn't be on any truck except a tractor trailer truck. It looks stupid and redneck, especially on anything that's not a diesel. What's the point?

2. If you want to beat rice burners then why'd you buy a truck?

3. Is your truck 4x4? Just curious because you want to put a brush guard, lift and light bar on it. Again, if you want to. Eat a rice burner, especially a built one, a lift 4x4 ain't gonna cut it.

Good luck to you, but you'd be better off with a muscle car with what you wanna do.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM

ok man im in the same boat your in so im here to help. plus im not a dick what looks cool to you is all that matters so if i only give my opinion. stacks look cool on a gas truck your not gonna get the smoke unless you do some tricks to it. which would be run 2.5inch pipes in your stacks mabey 4 inch 6 inch stacks. What you want is to add propane to the stacks it a spark plug and you will have flames shoot out. yes there fake but cool. ok second for power i am wanting to add a turbo also and the only bad news is that you might want to learn how to fab up alot of stuff because unless u want to pay 6000 for a kit. myself im trying to stay between 800-1200 on everything which isnt bad considering you can add 500-750 hp. so as for tuning transmission that i am looking into and will tell you something as soon as possible and hope you would do the same for me. also i would put a 4:10 in the rear end. basically your turning your truck into a ford lightning. just putting it in there alone your making it the new ford temour. you will lose on gas but will make a huge gain in hp. also if you have a 4x4 it will be difficult and high millage is not really a good thing either but it can be done just you will need more of an overhual which is more money but thats up to your wallet.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

It is true that you should customize the truck the way you want, even if a large crowd disagrees. One fact you do need to understand is that these are trucks. I've said it countless times: trucks are big, heavy vehicles. They are not meant for high speeds or racing at all. Unless you are dumping a lot of money for the purpose of racing, dont even try. Now, I'm not saying you should beef up the truck at all. Its a great idea. I'm just giving you a quick reminder of the reality of a truck and its intended use, towing, hauling, and possibly being a DD.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

For the love of Pete don't put stacks on it. It's trashy on gassers, and on 75% of diesels. And generally they sound terrible. Exiting duals lightning style will be a nice looking, and sounding option. We can't really give you any direction on what would be cool or not without pics of your truck. And personally, I wouldn't go flat black, it generally looks cheap and unfinished.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowningSCrew
For the love of Pete don't put stacks on it. It's trashy on gassers, and on 75% of diesels. And generally they sound terrible. Exiting duals lightning style will be a nice looking, and sounding option. We can't really give you any direction on what would be cool or not without pics of your truck. And personally, I wouldn't go flat black, it generally looks cheap and unfinished.
X2 stacks are no good! 400hp is a lot of work for a reliable dd especially out of a 4.6. And flat black will make it look like a barn find that you don't gve enough money to fix it right.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Have people forgot that people race trucks. On a track, on the drag strip, and on the road. Yes there heavy but who freakin cares. People drift with trucks that aren't even lowered. Flat black is sick nasty with some custom head lights and tail lights. Also you can still do everything you want with the truck it's just now u will be able to pull alot more, ( with some minor mods to your suspension obviously) so most people want a truck like this that's why I'm encouraging you to do it. You have to either have a lot of skill or money. So if you have the money go for it if not learn how to do it, plus learn to weld you will need it
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Plus man if you want I can give u all the websites for all the stuff you will need. If your can do the fab work its gonna cost you about 1300-1400 for everything that you need to put a turbo on and that overhauled the whole 9 yard and if you do it right you will get about 840 rwhp and 915 flbt
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Here, this will help you.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...8/viewall.html
Good luck finding a way to mash all that stuff into the small engine bay. As theirs was never actually placed into a truck.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by TLB4
Here, this will help you.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...8/viewall.html
Good luck finding a way to mash all that stuff into the small engine bay. As theirs was never actually placed into a truck.
This is what I'm basing all my mods off of and it is not really possible to fit that under the hood ( that is if you want to keep all your extras in your truck) in this case this is where I was talking about custom mods. Your turbo is going under the truck there is where it will fit. Here is a website that offers full kit for 7000 http://www.turbo-trucks.com/f150_turbo_kits.html. The way I'm doing it is the exact same just a lot cheaper

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Modification Help