Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 5.4L Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 5.4L Cranks but won't start

My 2001 5.4L cranks but won't start. It's not a fuel issue as it wouldn't start when I sprayed starting fluid into the intake. I've checked all the fuses and relays, changed the Crank and Cam positioning sensors, and put a new battery in. I don't believe it's a PCM issue since I can still read data from my scanner. There is also power going to my coils. I put some cheap coils on about 2 months ago and that's the only thing that I can think might be the problem, but it seems weird that all 8 would go out at once. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Starting fluid/either dosen't always work when confirming a fuel delivery issue. You haven't so much as determined if the pump runs. Do this first.
The following users liked this post:
TimPow (05-07-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Starting fluid/either dosen't always work when confirming a fuel delivery issue. You haven't so much as determined if the pump runs. Do this first.
I can hear it priming when I turn the ignition so I assumed it was getting fuel
TimPow (05-07-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Now you need to test pressure, confirm the filter isn't plugged or if the pumps too weak. If you need to borrow a pressure gauge (free loaner program), pick up a low volt noid light while picking that up. You'll be checking PCM signal next.

I suppose you checked all fuses, -no theft light blinking correct?

Last edited by Jbrew; 02-17-2018 at 09:06 PM.
TimPow (05-07-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Now you need to test pressure, confirm the filter isn't plugged or if the pumps too weak.
Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 PM

No problem, yea it doesn't matter if the coils or injectors have power at the connector. The PCM grounds them out to fire, via signal, low volt signal for the coils. Just so your aware. A noid or low volt test light is needed to test.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 PM

No problem, yea it doesn't matter if the coils or injectors have power at the connector. The PCM grounds them out to fire, via signal, low volt signal for the coils. Just so your aware. A noid or low volt test light is needed to test.
Changed the fuel filter, made sure there was pressure by depressing the Schrader valve on the injector lines. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it but I don't have the tool to test that. The thing still won't start and I am completely lost.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Your not lost, you just not listening. Can't help yuh with that , all the same, -

Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by derekhilfiker
My 2001 5.4L cranks but won't start. It's not a fuel issue as it wouldn't start when I sprayed starting fluid into the intake. I've checked all the fuses and relays, changed the Crank and Cam positioning sensors, and put a new battery in. I don't believe it's a PCM issue since I can still read data from my scanner. There is also power going to my coils. I put some cheap coils on about 2 months ago and that's the only thing that I can think might be the problem, but it seems weird that all 8 would go out at once. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
There are other ways to check for spark. Testers that fit between the plug and wire, or a spare plug on a spark plug wire, grounded properly. The most common first thing people do when testing a no-start condition is to verify spark.

You might give some history on the engine and the past problems. Why'd you put the cheap coils on? Why'd you change the sensors, was there a code? Spark and injection both depend on those sensors, which the computer uses to determine when to spark, or when to inject.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
There are other ways to check for spark. Testers that fit between the plug and wire, or a spare plug on a spark plug wire, grounded properly. The most common first thing people do when testing a no-start condition is to verify spark.

You might give some history on the engine and the past problems. Why'd you put the cheap coils on? Why'd you change the sensors, was there a code? Spark and injection both depend on those sensors, which the computer uses to determine when to spark, or when to inject.
I bought the truck 2.5 years ago and as far as I'm aware of it hadn't had any engine problems in the past. The only problem would be a rough idle, but that was due to it running too lean. I was having a misfire a couple months ago but that was because the plugs and coils hadn't been replaced at 100k miles (The person I bought it from said he did, but he obviously didn't). That fixed the misfiring problem. I put the cheap coils on because I'm in college and didn't want to pay $150 plus for coils. These were the coils I bought:
Amazon Amazon
. I changed the sensors because I read that those are generally the cause of the problem, but there weren't any codes.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4L Cranks but won't start