Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 4.2L F-150 Power Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 4.2L F-150 Power Upgrades

Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 F-150 XLT with a 4.2L V6 and a 5 speed (Mazda M5OD). The truck has 245,000 miles on it. I am currently running a junkyard motor in it, as the numbers matching motor developed a bit of a knocking/ticking noise. So I have the numbers matching motor apart right now, and I sent the heads to my good friend Bob Orr, owner and operator of Bob's Machine Shop out of Templeton, CA (805-674-0385). He is very reasonably priced and does fantastic work. I'm also sending the block out to have that completely gone through by a guy that builds race engines.
Anyway, I would like advice on some power adders. I'm looking to stick a camshaft in there and I'm not sure what lift/duration. It is a daily driver (as you can see by 245,000 miles) and it won't see any time off-road as it has a very expensive paint job on it and it's been lowered 2 inches. In addition to a cam, I want to put a Cold Air Intake on it and I would like recommendations of brand, how much power it would add, etc. I am also looking to do a tune on the truck myself, so I would like some advice on what to buy and price. I don't want to spend a ton, but the holidays are upon us and I can justify spending a little more on myself.
Thanks for all the advice guys! Keep up the good work!
Andrew
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 141 Likes on 134 Posts

If you're looking for more power swap in a 5.4 v8. Those 4.2 v6 motors are gutless. IMO a truck should have a v8 anyways. Just my 2 cents on that.

I'm not sure about anything for getting more power out of the 4.2s. Maybe flat top Pistons if it doesn't have them already or something to get more compression.

I wouldn't recommend buying a cold air intake. You can do the GOTTS intake mod to your stock intake and it'll perform just as good as any off the shelf cold air intake.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmanjr
If you're looking for more power swap in a 5.4 v8. Those 4.2 v6 motors are gutless. IMO a truck should have a v8 anyways. Just my 2 cents on that.

I'm not sure about anything for getting more power out of the 4.2s. Maybe flat top Pistons if it doesn't have them already or something to get more compression.

I wouldn't recommend buying a cold air intake. You can do the GOTTS intake mod to your stock intake and it'll perform just as good as any off the shelf cold air intake.
All trucks should have a v8 eh? Bet you can't tow more or go faster than my brothers eco boost lol. Can't knock the 4.9 or a cummins either.
But I agree,I won't buy one because I love the v8 sound.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackedup00
All trucks should have a v8 eh? Bet you can't tow more or go faster than my brothers eco boost lol. Can't knock the 4.9 or a cummins either. But I agree,I won't buy one because I love the v8 sound.
Okay, half ton trucks. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck should be a diesel to use their full potential. I don't have any problem with 4bt or 6bt cummins.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys! However, I am sticking to the 4.2L. This is because I already have one in the garage laying around, and I am a stickler for numbers matching. But again, thank you for your input.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by f150andrew
Thanks for the input guys! However, I am sticking to the 4.2L. This is because I already have one in the garage laying around, and I am a stickler for numbers matching. But again, thank you for your input.
No matter how much money you dump into your motor it won't help man. Short of building the motor,supercharging it and putting nitrous to it you won't make power. I doubt they make many parts for the 4.2
Old 11-29-2014, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jackedup00
No matter how much money you dump into your motor it won't help man. Short of building the motor,supercharging it and putting nitrous to it you won't make power. I doubt they make many parts for the 4.2
My goal is 300 RWHP, so I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of it. I just want my truck to be a little more fun to drive, and have the extra umph to break the back tires loose.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by f150andrew

My goal is 300 RWHP, so I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of it. I just want my truck to be a little more fun to drive, and have the extra umph to break the back tires loose.
From a little looking around it looks like you're lucky to get 180 hp to the wheels stock,some people are as low as 160. At the crank is only 205,I doubt you will ever see 300 rwhp without SERIOUS work,like buy a different truck work. Hell I'm dumping money into a 5.4 and keep getting told I won't go over 300 at the crank lol. That's with long tubes,full exhaust,cams,brand new motor and a tuner. Your best bet is swap the motor,I don't know how well the internals on the 4.2 hold up but I know they like blowing head gaskets stock so the more hp you push the more likely you are to have head gasket issues.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:58 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

You won't see 300 RWHP without boost, so if your sticking with a 4.2, I'd say upgrade the internals, then throw a blower on it if you can along with supporting mods and such. Regular "bolt ons" and cam swap won't get you what you're looking for. Those engines are only like 200 or so horses at the crank to begin with. But honestly, if you can get the basic mods everyone has, and get it tuned, cammed, and get a gear swap, it would be quite decent I think. Hard to say though really, not many throw serious work into the 4.2s.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bryson
You won't see 300 RWHP without boost, so if your sticking with a 4.2, I'd say upgrade the internals, then throw a blower on it if you can along with supporting mods and such. Regular "bolt ons" and cam swap won't get you what you're looking for. Those engines are only like 200 or so horses at the crank to begin with. But honestly, if you can get the basic mods everyone has, and get it tuned, cammed, and get a gear swap, it would be quite decent I think. Hard to say though really, not many throw serious work into the 4.2s.
I honestly don't think a blower would get it to 300 rwhp. A lightning is only what,like high 300s at the crank?

Quick Reply: 2001 4.2L F-150 Power Upgrades