Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F-150 stops running in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 F-150 stops running in hot weather

I have seen many posts about this same thing, but I have yet to see a solution that I haven't tried. My 99 F-150, 4.2 liter, will not start, or worse yet will stop running if the weather is over 90 degrees outside. It has 72,000 miles.

I changed the crank shaft sensor, after reading one of the posts, but that didn't fix it. I mistakenly took it to Ford and they replaced a couple of the fuel pump relays and claimed it was fixed, but still no luck. I also changed the ignition coil, and an egr valve, all after reading one thread or another. With that said.... here is what it does.

The truck runs beautifully, if the weather is under 9 degrees. When the weather gets hotter than that, it will not start. It cranks over and over without ever even sounding like its trying. When it is doing this the anti theft light is blinking rapidly. When the light isn't blinking rapidly (cooler weather), the truck starts after two or three cranks. In the hot weather, if I am driving, it will shut off, no sputter, no loss of power, just cuts off as if by a switch. If I let it set, sometimes as little as 2 minutes, sometimes as long as 30 minutes, it will start again, after one or two cranks.

An important note that I have found in common. If it won't start, or it dies after running, the weather outside is hot, and the anti theft light is blinking rapidly.

I hope someone can give me an idea on this, as the weather will be getting warm soon, and I love driving my truck.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like its pats related due to the theft light. I would disable the pats since when it is active there is no fuel being sent to the motor
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Move to Canada eh.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you for your answer. I didn't know they could be disabled. I will get that done right away.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

My understanding is that PATS can keep one from starting, but it shouldn't shut it off once it's running.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my truck starts Missfireing when it is above 90 degrees. Below 90 degrees it runs great I have hanged everythink I can thank of. I have been told to chang the cats on it that they might be the cause. Friend of mine had the same problem. He talked to some friends of his that were ford machanics and they finally had him change the cats and it fixed his problem..... So soon as I get the money saved im going to try to change the cats on my truck. I was asked by a ford technition if the theft light was on when it started happening they origionally thought my PATS was causeing the problem so the reprogramed it and made me 2 new keys. But that did not fix it.

Quick Reply: 1999 F-150 stops running in hot weather