Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1998 driver window motor replacement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 driver window motor replacement

The driver side window motor has stopped working and is all the way up. I want to replace the motor, and the haynes manual says a very limited amount for doing this. What it does tell you requires lowering the window... how do you do this if it doesnt work? The manual also talks about removing the glass from the regulator and states that you need to use a bolt to lock out the sector gear, and doesn't show where to do it, also it says to lower the window to do this... so there is my dillema, I have read all the posts here and around the net with no resolve. If anyone knows please help.... all I want is a new window motor, is that to much to ask?

Thanks EZ
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Understand your dilema, experience is from old school with motor attaching to regulator, believe today its cable controlled. One thing for sure its not rocket science, open up the door and have a look see. Then check for power and ground before replacing anything. All circuitry goes thru the LH window switch.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 F150 power window motor

I see that this is an old thread but i wanted to post this FYI incase someone else has the same problem
I just replace the driver side power window motor today. It took less than an hour to do. Tape the window so it does not fall when the motor is removed. The trick is once you have removed the door panel do NOT remove the rivets as many have suggested. Remove the speaker,this will give you access to the motor. There are 3 8mm bolts that hold the motor in place. One can be seen the other two are hidden behind the sheet metal. Look at the door in the area of the motor you will see two small dimples. using a 1/2" to 3/4" drill bit (depends on the outer dia of your socket set)drill a hole at each dimple. you now have access to the the other two bolts and the motor can be removed and replaced through the speaker hole.
I hope you find this helpfull
The following users liked this post:
alfsr78 (12-12-2013)
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Great ADVICE rjslack65!!!!

I got the door panel off of my 1998 F150 and was scratching my head on how the heck I am gonna pull this off.. rjslack65 advice was a life saver! Took me about a hour to get everything done. Piece of cake.. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to pull both motors tomorrow from one of my many donor trucks about 20 miles from my house at my dads farm. Thanks rjslack65 for the list of tools needed ! I for sure didn't want to take my 300 lb plus tool box now I can go with fewer tools and get-r-done. Thanks for your input ! wish me luck. Below freezing and a foot of snow I want to make it quick. Lol !
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Was just reading the instructions from Autozone to replace passenger side window lift. So glad I came here. Rjslack65 hit the nail on the head, way so much easier. thanks man.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Default old thread ... hope you are sill around

Originally Posted by rjslack65
I see that this is an old thread but i wanted to post this FYI incase someone else has the same problem
I just replace the driver side power window motor today. It took less than an hour to do. Tape the window so it does not fall when the motor is removed. The trick is once you have removed the door panel do NOT remove the rivets as many have suggested. Remove the speaker,this will give you access to the motor. There are 3 8mm bolts that hold the motor in place. One can be seen the other two are hidden behind the sheet metal. Look at the door in the area of the motor you will see two small dimples. using a 1/2" to 3/4" drill bit (depends on the outer dia of your socket set)drill a hole at each dimple. you now have access to the the other two bolts and the motor can be removed and replaced through the speaker hole. I hope you find this helpfull

Will pulling the motor in this way dislodge the spring loaded regulator? The two holes on my 1998 passenger side are already drilled by another mechanic, so I know it can be done...just don't want the regulator to slice off any fingers while in there. Are the rivets holding the spring loaded regulator in place?? I have replaced my drivers side motor and regulator myself, just hoping to get the passenger motor only. Original owner also, so it needed three different motors so far.

1998 f150 XLT / 125,000 miles

Last edited by David11; 09-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by David11
Will pulling the motor in this way dislodge the spring loaded regulator? The two holes on my 1998 passenger side are already drilled by another mechanic, so I know it can be done...just don't want the regulator to slice off any fingers while in there. Are the rivets holding the spring loaded regulator in place?? I have replaced my drivers side motor and regulator myself, just hoping to get the passenger motor only. Original owner also, so it needed three different motors so far.

1998 f150 XLT / 125,000 miles
If your holes are already drilled out just remove your speaker and 3 8mm bolts and unplug electrical plug and remove motor. Just did mine and window did not move.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 PM

Default Removing motor

I have removed the 3 bolts but the motor won't dislodge- is there a trick to getting it out without removing the regulator?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AZLewis
I have removed the 3 bolts but the motor won't dislodge- is there a trick to getting it out without removing the regulator?
No trick. You may need to get a small hammer in there to tap it to dislodge it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 driver window motor replacement