Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

03 f150 w/200k "lost compression"... next stop junkyard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 f150 w/200k "lost compression"... next stop junkyard?

My car knowledge stops shortly after changing my own oil and brakes. My 03 F150 with 200k miles is chugging along kind of like when it has a bad plug. Took it to mechanic and he said one of the cylinders lost compression. He quoted about what the truck blue books for $5-6k? to replace the engine (it has the large V8 if it matters).

So now i'm stuck with a big paperweight. does this sound about right that the truck is essentially worthless? what would you do? i dont think replacing the engine is that realistic. i've found some on ebay for around $1500 but even then i'm still left with a truck that has 200k miles on all the rest of it even if it's run well for me so far.

does it go to the scrap yard? do people typically buy projects like this?

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Get a second opinion.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Get a second opinion.
would you go to dealership or just another regarded mechanic?

I live in a small *** town so my choices aren't the best
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by ahreno
My car knowledge stops shortly after changing my own oil and brakes. My 03 F150 with 200k miles is chugging along kind of like when it has a bad plug. Took it to mechanic and he said one of the cylinders lost compression. He quoted about what the truck blue books for $5-6k? to replace the engine (it has the large V8 if it matters).
Did he say what, exactly, was broken? Several possible causes for low pressure. Did he show you the results?

Is his quote for a rebuilt engine or a used one?

You need to get more details, even if you get a second opinion.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Not necessarily a dealer. Just a second opinion. I bought a 96 Ranger dirt cheap with 107,000 miles on it. The previous owner took it to a NAPA Care shop, and was told that the motor needed replaced because it had dropped a cylinder. They replaced the spark plug, wires, EGR valve, and when all of that failed he was told they did a compression test and cylinder 4 was dead.

I know just how tough the old 4.0 OHV motors are, and I bought it with the belief I was going to be able to fix it easy. Turns out when they put a new plug in cylinder 4, the porcelain cracked. I changed the plug for 2 or 3 bucks, and it ran like a champ.

And also, get a "deeper" explanation on the diagnosis, as BBXL said.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Validity of diagnosis aside for the moment,

Is it worth it?

That depends on condition of truck
And
If you are otherwise happy with it, and willing to drive it several years and get $ back out of repair .
You wont recoup it be selling it, you must drive it.

You can get a used engine installed for maybe 2500. Low miles are not ez to find today.
But its prudent to spruce up a used 18 yr old engine before install. Water pump, manifold gasket, etc. Even head gaskets, freeze plugs, timing guides, clean oil pan/strainer, flush block, arent out of question to do while engine out an access is ez, if you want max trouble free time out of motor. These all add $$.

You can get a reman in for various prices. Better is more $. Never ever buy cheapest.
Cheap installation labor is $1200. High end is $2500. Book shop labor is about 20 hrs. A dealer charging $165/hr isnt competitive.

Are any other major $$$ repairs looming? Tranny condition? AC? If tranny pan is full of metal....its scrap. Too much additional $. First thing...drop tranny pan and inspect imo, before deciding if want to fix.

I put new engine in my 2003 almost 4 yrs ago. Fixed a bunch of things. Spent almost $8000. Engine was $4400 installed. Brakes, ball joints, tires, engine, stereo, amp/sub, driver seat cover, interior paint, rear camera. I used local privately owned ( not chain) engine replacement shop that installed a reputable reman. They had done many 5.4s, and installed 6-7 engines / week. Their warranty covered labor and parts for any problem 12 mo. As well, they would honor engine mfg warranty labor rate ( low! $50 ish) For any issue in the 3 year/100k warranty period. (Ford Dealer replacement labor is $$$, and one of reasons installation and warranty thru dealer is $7000) Issues - had power steering pulley not seated completely, ate a belt. New motorcraft tstat failed. ( Engine coolant stopped reaching over 175) I ended up taking care of both myself for simplicity.

Minimal $ spent since. Alternator, battery, 4 wd shift fork = $300. And still going.
Compared to depreciation on newer vehicle....i already broke even .

But its a risk. You wont get money back by selling. And youll likely get burned if in accident, regardless of fault. All you get is book.

Call local full service reputable wrecking yard . They can find a reputable used engine from yard they trust, and recommend someone experienced to install it cheap. People that do installs professionally, frequently do them on the side at home, where they get the $1000, not their employer. Typically the yards give 12000 mi / 12 mo warranty on used engine. But they will often require new radiator.

Good remans have 3 yr unlimiited mi warranty today. Which should cover the" break even " period.

Ive got 70k on my AER reman . 270k on truck. For me, the gamble paid off.

My brother, blew head gasket in his f150. Had AC problems. Had transmission problems. He had his towed to toyota dealership (taking push, pull, or drag it in trades) and drove away in brand new tacoma. No hassles expected for 6-7 years.

So im happy only spent 8500 to drive my truck almost 4 yrs now, and looking at next several very low cost. My brother is happy having spent 30,000, with a few thousand more still to spend. He do get better mileage though.

So the real question is...do you like driving truck you have? Are you willing to buy it again, right now, recognizing you could lose money if things dont go as planned driving it 3-4 more years? Thats what engine replacement amounts too.

Last edited by mbb; 04-25-2019 at 06:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AdrianP (04-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 03 f150 w/200k "lost compression"... next stop junkyard?