Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

03 5.4 engine mods for the best performace and mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 5.4 engine mods for the best performace and mpg

i have an 03 f150 supercrew Fx4. im keeping the internals all stock but I want to know what kind of exhuast from the headers back that would give me the best torque, hp, and better then 14 mpg. also would like to know what kinda intake would be the best and ive been looking at the edge programer. also would like to know different lifts that are out there. thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 AM

aka do my research for me?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by heathmeador
i have an 03 f150 supercrew Fx4. im keeping the internals all stock but I want to know what kind of exhuast from the headers back that would give me the best torque, hp, and better then 14 mpg. also would like to know what kinda intake would be the best and ive been looking at the edge programer. also would like to know different lifts that are out there. thanks
first, i have to say that borla is the best exhaust around, second comes magnaflow. both of those will give you a boost of peak horsepower keywork "peak". that means wide open throttle.they say a gain of about 19horses but ill believe it when i see it(remember that a single outlet exhaust will give you your best gains). gas mileage you may see an increase of maybe 2-3mpg. best intakes are AEM, K&N, and Airaid. you may see a few horses at wide open throttle and maybe a slight increase in MPG. edge programer is good or so i hear, i know personally bullydog makes some for gas engines and they are great. as far as lifts go, performance accessories makes the best body lift (up to 3"). rough country makes very nice suspension lifts as well, and at somewhat of a good price.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM

thanks man.. mazin your just a dick... i was wanting to know what worked for yall becuase all sellesr says there stuff works when it dont. right now on my truck i have staight true duals from the cats back i was thinking maybe gettin some headers gutted cats o2 spacers into a y or h pipe then duals out the back idk which would be better. and idk what to do for muffler im not sure wich would give good back presure. I like the way straights sound. but i think ill get more for my buck with a edge and intake. True flow has an intake that keeps the filter in the stock box to keep dust dirt and water out of the filter which will be perfect for the off road but ive never heard of them before....

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/TRU20500.html

what do yall think??
Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JwS 4.6
first, i have to say that borla is the best exhaust around, second comes magnaflow. both of those will give you a boost of peak horsepower keywork "peak". that means wide open throttle.they say a gain of about 19horses but ill believe it when i see it(remember that a single outlet exhaust will give you your best gains). gas mileage you may see an increase of maybe 2-3mpg. best intakes are AEM, K&N, and Airaid. you may see a few horses at wide open throttle and maybe a slight increase in MPG. edge programer is good or so i hear, i know personally bullydog makes some for gas engines and they are great. as far as lifts go, performance accessories makes the best body lift (up to 3"). rough country makes very nice suspension lifts as well, and at somewhat of a good price.
So how did you come to the conclusion that any of those things are "best"? Pretty much everything this guy asked about are negligible mods that yield little to no gains.

Your talking about a SOHC 2v modular motor with extremely restrictive heads. Swapping out a piece of stock plastic for a 200+ dollar piece of aftermarket plastic is going to do nothing for you. Just swap in an aftermarket filter. you will accomplish the same goal for far less money.

As far as exhaust goes, unless your going to put on long tube headers, and o/r midpipe and a straight through muffler, your not going to feel any hp gain what so ever. So, that being said, get the exhaust that sounds best to you.

As far as fuel saving are concerned, dont drive like a disgruntled teenager and ull get good gas mileage. Your right foot will always be the best mod for saving fuel.

As far as a tuner goes, the only way that will help your gas mileage is if you pull some fuel to lean your A/F ratio out to like a 15-15.3. I wouldnt do this unless you know what your doing though(you need a wideband A/F meeter and some healthy tuning knowledge).

Just a few pointers from my experience working with these motors. Take the advise how you want to, hopefully youll learn something from it and be able to save a few bucks.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JCP281
So how did you come to the conclusion that any of those things are "best"? Pretty much everything this guy asked about are negligible mods that yield little to no gains.

Your talking about a SOHC 2v modular motor with extremely restrictive heads. Swapping out a piece of stock plastic for a 200+ dollar piece of aftermarket plastic is going to do nothing for you. Just swap in an aftermarket filter. you will accomplish the same goal for far less money.

As far as exhaust goes, unless your going to put on long tube headers, and o/r midpipe and a straight through muffler, your not going to feel any hp gain what so ever. So, that being said, get the exhaust that sounds best to you.

As far as fuel saving are concerned, dont drive like a disgruntled teenager and ull get good gas mileage. Your right foot will always be the best mod for saving fuel.

As far as a tuner goes, the only way that will help your gas mileage is if you pull some fuel to lean your A/F ratio out to like a 15-15.3. I wouldnt do this unless you know what your doing though(you need a wideband A/F meeter and some healthy tuning knowledge).

Just a few pointers from my experience working with these motors. Take the advise how you want to, hopefully youll learn something from it and be able to save a few bucks.

get it right!! magnaflow and borla make straight through type mufflers.and i agree the intakes are overpriced for what ya get, but thats my opinion and he didnt ask me if i liked putting intakes on these motors, he asked what was the best one on the market. as far as tuners, i personally know people that have used tuners like the "edge" product and they do increase power by a fair amount. and if like you said you keep your right foot from touching the floor too much will help you with gas mileage.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM

get it right!! magnaflow and borla make straight through type mufflers.and i agree the intakes are overpriced for what ya get, but thats my opinion and he didnt ask me if i liked putting intakes on these motors, he asked what was the best one on the market. as far as tuners, i personally know people that have used tuners like the "edge" product and they do increase power by a fair amount. and if like you said you keep your right foot from touching the floor too much will help you with gas mileage.
LOL I know they are straight through mufflers. But just because you add a straight through muffler and leave the rest of your exhaust stock does not mean your going to gain anything what so ever.

Trust me, iv been in the game for a long time now with performance parts, I wouldnt speak to something if I didnt know what I was talking about.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by JCP281
LOL I know they are straight through mufflers. But just because you add a straight through muffler and leave the rest of your exhaust stock does not mean your going to gain anything what so ever.

Trust me, iv been in the game for a long time now with performance parts, I wouldnt speak to something if I didnt know what I was talking about.

first, if you replace a very restrictive part of an exhaust like a factory muffler with a performace muffler you are gonna free up some power even if it is slight.i realize and agree though that it is gonna be hardly to not noticeable at all.second he said headers back. when you buy a cat-back exhaust you dont just get a muffler. you get everything from the cats back. so i took it as he is replacing everything from the headers back. i dont wanna be a dick im just proving my point lol. isnt that just typical of two people who know so much they bud heads lmao
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 PM

first, if you replace a very restrictive part of an exhaust like a factory muffler with a performace muffler you are gonna free up some power even if it is slight.i realize and agree though that it is gonna be hardly to not noticeable at all.second he said headers back. when you buy a cat-back exhaust you dont just get a muffler. you get everything from the cats back. so i took it as he is replacing everything from the headers back. i dont wanna be a dick im just proving my point lol. isnt that just typical of two people who know so much they bud heads lmao
You actually missed my point entirely. My point was your calling these certain brands the "best" when in fact they all do the same thing and neither gain anything worth mentioning over any other. My point about the single mufflers was you will not gain any more at the end of the day with any aftermarket muffler. I could barely feel long tube headers, o/r x pipe and an SLP LM2 catback on my CAR which weighs a heck of a lot less. Your not going to notice anything in a 5000+lb truck, especially if you dont go with long tube headers and a catless midpipe.

The mods hes talking about are not worth their money spent. And if you read my original post in its entirety, you will see that I tell him exactly what to do to save money, and get the gains hes after.

Last edited by JCP281; 10-06-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 5.4 engine mods for the best performace and mpg