Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

'02 V6 XL 4x4 Clutch replacement and tune up questions

Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
knucklehead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 V6 XL 4x4 Clutch replacement and tune up questions

I have been skulking around for some time and finally decided to join.
My clutch is trash I can still drive it but that is about it. Since it was new (My old man bought this truck originally) the clutch has been weak. It will routinely smoke the clutch if it has any significant load on it.
My question. Is there an up grade clutch I can purchase? This is my work truck along with my beach truck so I don't baby it much.
Also at 168k miles besides the front bearings (which I just replaced both sides) is there any major maintenance I need to do?

I have had a crush on this truck since my Dad bought it new.

Name:  facebook_568165617.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  20.8 KB

When it came time for him to get a new one he traded in my J#$* and gave me the truck. 6 months into this relationship I'm still in love and would like to keep her around if I can.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArlenL
I have been skulking around for some time and finally decided to join.
My clutch is trash I can still drive it but that is about it. Since it was new (My old man bought this truck originally) the clutch has been weak. It will routinely smoke the clutch if it has any significant load on it.
My question. Is there an up grade clutch I can purchase? This is my work truck along with my beach truck so I don't baby it much.
Also at 168k miles besides the front bearings (which I just replaced both sides) is there any major maintenance I need to do?

I have had a crush on this truck since my Dad bought it new.

Attachment 152098

When it came time for him to get a new one he traded in my J#$* and gave me the truck. 6 months into this relationship I'm still in love and would like to keep her around if I can.

i would suggest a oem clutch. just think of how long they last and the quality of oem vs aftermarket.

also i think the 4.2 f15 has the same trans as the 4.6 v8 and the same clutch. i am not 100% tho so do some searching and find out.

if the clutch is good enough for a more powerfull v8 it will be fine for a v6
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
knucklehead

So my next question would be how come it is so easy to smoke the clutch? Could it have been out of adjustment since day one? Is there a way to adjust the clamping force of the stock clutch pack?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArlenL
So my next question would be how come it is so easy to smoke the clutch? Could it have been out of adjustment since day one? Is there a way to adjust the clamping force of the stock clutch pack?
i am pretty sure the clutch is hydro and not cable. but if its cable you could adjust it.

i think you mean slipping when you say smoke the clutch. it could be a bunch of things causing it to slip. the flywheel could be glazed, the pressure plate could be weak, the disc could have weared out 160k is alot on a clutch. the slave cylinder could be weak. plus more i couldnt tell unless i took the truck apart.

just remember if you tackle the job yourself to replace all the componets you can. pressure plate, disc, re surface the flywheel if you can within oem spec, slave cylinder, throwout bearing and other bearings/bushings that usually coime in a kit.

if you do it right it will last awhile just like the oem. thats why i perfer to work on my own stuff becasue i can over look everything with my best intrest in mind. most mechanics will not take the time and care for your vechile as you would do.

good luck and remember to research as much as you can and pick up a haynes manual. the trucks a complex puzzle that you could easily take apart and put bck together if your informed and have some know how
The following users liked this post:
ArlenL (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
knucklehead

So no adjustability in the hydraulic clutch? I find that odd and annoying. Wear and tear certainly plays a part in the way the clutch behaves now but I have known this truck since it rolled out of the dealership. My Dad would have to put it in 4LO just to back his boat up the driveway. It has always slipped since day one. I would hate to goto all the trouble of replacing the clutch (big hassle single parent apartment dweller) and have it continue to behave in the same manner. My Jeeps would always stall as opposed to frying the clutch.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes it should stall out rather than slip. There is a good chance the flywheel and/or clutch lining has been glazed or got contaminated at some point. IIRC there were two clutch diameters used a 10" and 11". I would use OEM 11" and have the flywheel resurfaced. Replace the slave at the same time.
Note the Mazda box has a wicked high reverse gear which is a PITA. Be grateful you have the option of 4L.
Regards
rikard
The following users liked this post:
ArlenL (10-09-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 V6 XL 4x4 Clutch replacement and tune up questions