Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

02 f150 fuel pump

Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 f150 fuel pump

I just got a new Spectra Premium fuel pump and the first day I had it, the truck started to die while driving or even just idling in a parking lot. I didn't know if it was just a bad brand or a bad pump. And I was also thinking of replacing it with a Precison fuel pump assembly from Oriellys so if that is a good brand, let me know. Thanks for replying
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Red4x
I just got a new Spectra Premium fuel pump and the first day I had it, the truck started to die while driving or even just idling in a parking lot. I didn't know if it was just a bad brand or a bad pump. ....
Before condemning your new pump there are other items to check that can cause your problem.
What is the fuel pressure doing at the fuel rail test port?
The fuel pump power relay contacts may be pitted - try swapping the fuel pump power relay with another one.
Has the fuel filter been changed?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&TBabich
Before condemning your new pump there are other items to check that can cause your problem.
What is the fuel pressure doing at the fuel rail test port?
The fuel pump power relay contacts may be pitted - try swapping the fuel pump power relay with another one.
Has the fuel filter been changed?
The fuel pressure at the fuel is about 38 and holds pressure when turned off. I have thought about buy a new power relay, I will definitely do that. The fuel filter is rather new, and I did not see a whole lot of dirt in the tank but a new filter would also not be a bad idea. Thanks for replying, I will update as I play with it this weekend, if it can make it that far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 f150 fuel pump