Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

01 Screw 5.4 ODB2 Mode 6 Misfire $53 BS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Busted Knuckles

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 01 Screw 5.4 ODB2 Mode 6 Misfire $53 BS

I have spent the whole day trying to figure this out. I have the Torque Pro app and a cheap ELM327 blue tooth adapter. I loaded the Ford predefined PIDs and assumed that they worked for my truck. The PIDs in the Torque app are Ford "extended" PIDs, starting with "22". They do not work for my 2001 truck.
I then start looking at the mode 6 crap and loaded TID $53 CID $01 through 09 for individual cylinder misfire counts. Well they dont work either because a damn CEL code has to be set, which,of course, I do not have.
So, it appears that there is no way to monitor real-time misfire counts if a code is not set. Thats horse sh_t.
You can plug the hex code, 0653 into the torque app and hit the "test" button. You will get long hex codes back, in my case I had 8. Follow this thread to see how to track misfires....

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threa...04/#post206158

When I run the pre-canned test from Torque, it lists the $53 tests but only the cylinder 2 showed a value, the others appeared to be non-supported, blank. Perhaps this indicates a cylinder 2 misfire count and the others will show up if they experience them.

Another weird anomoly, I programed alarms in the torque app using the pre-programmed Ford "22" extended codes and the damn things triggered. If i set up a display to monitor the "22 codes" they will never register a misfire. Try to figure this one out!
Also, the 221616 extended code works!, this is not supposed to work on my truck!

Update: You can add the custom PID, 0653XX to the torque app, however it appears that the last 2 numbers are not sent by the Torque app itself. If you use the PID 0653, it will return the same information as 065301. It returns 8 groups of 8 bytes in my case. If you build a formula/equation to parse the information, only the 8th group of 8 bytes (46530800003900) is used, the others are ignored.

In my case, the custom, PID 065302 returns:

Each group of bytes within each HEX line item, (46530800003900), is assigned a letter to be used in the formula for parsing the data return.

00> first byte all 0s, appears to be ignored
46> appears to be ignored as A returns "53", not "46"
53>is A
08>is B
00> is C
00> is D
39> is E
00>is F

So, from what I gather, "C & D" are the bytes that we need to track for misfires. A is ignored, B, E, & F stay constant. The formula ((C*256)+D) should provide the number of misfires for each cylinder, however, in my case only the last group of bytes is used by the formula and I get a "zero".

Either torque only passes the "0653" to my ELM interface OR my ELM interface does not accept or recognize the TID numbers. According to a ford document for my year, all 6 PID numbers (0653XX) should produce a specific test result, so I do not think that it is a problem with my truck. I can send 0653 by itself, or any 0653XX combination and get he same exact results as in the picture shown.

I will join the Torque forum and ask them to have a look. If we can get them to send all 6 characters then we might have a valid misfire count.

As you can see, my cylinder #2 has the HEX value "1E06" = 7686. There is still a debate on whether this is only incremented AFTER a CEL code has been set or cleared. If this is the case then this whole exercise is a waste of time as the whole point is to get "real-time" misfire counts, only under extreme misfire conditions is the CEL code registered.

I can feel a slight hiccup at idle now, I wll assume that it is cylinder 2 COP, I probably used too much dielectric grease and it needs to be cleaned up. I am NOT seeing the "1E06" value increase. I need to reset the mode 6 data back to zero but havent figured out how to do it yet.

Now on a different topic, my truck should NOT support the Ford extended PIDS, they were officially added in later years, however one of the mode "22" codes is pulling data, 221616, the extended PID for tracking total misfires, it was incrementing in real-time this morning.

I am sure that some other ELM327, android apps and ALL of the commercial testers probably have this all figured out already but the ret_ards at my local auto parts stores freak out when I ask them to check the "real-time" data so I need to create my own solution. I am not spending over $100 ona new tester that "might" give me mode 6 info. If the Torque app isnt the right solution, I will keep looking for an app that is. Right now, the only other app may be "OBDDiag generic" as stated in a ford V10 RV forum. I am trying to work with this one now.

Sorry for the novel but I ran my *** off on this one, hope the next poor slob doesn't have to. :-)

Last edited by gkoenig; 05-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 PM
mbb

Received 892 Likes on 734 Posts

Cel doesnt need to be set for mode 06

Read obd manual. Pay attention to conditions in which misfire monitor is active, or interrupted.

It may be your adapter, they are cheap.

There are better interfaces than torque for that. I prefer the one with my scantool.

Last edited by mbb; 05-11-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Try Forscan. It's about the same price as Torque. It is a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (and some Mazda) specific app.

Forscan for the PC is free, and even better if you can access your ELM327 via laptop. I have a USB ELM that I use on it. It works terrific.

http://forscan.org/download.html
Old 05-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never used the torque pro ap. Have had conversation with some who have and they swear it does mode 6.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM
mbb

Originally Posted by jethat
I've never used the torque pro ap. Have had conversation with some who have and they swear it does mode 6.
It do
Old 05-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Busted Knuckles

Thanks everyone, great stuff.

Torque has built-in tests, in my case it runs the mode 6 tests and then provides results as pass or fail via a green check mark. The mode 6 $53 $00-$07 are for the specific misfire counts for each individual cylinder. The results are completely blank as if they are not supported or do not return any data.
What I am finding out is that if there is a misfire count after the tests it will show the results as pass or fail, determined by pre programmed percentages. I have seen values for my cylinders #2 and #5. I cleaned up the boot on #2 yesterday and the test now shows a "blank" for #2, today I see 81 misfires for #5, if they keep coming back then I will clean up the grease on the boot.

What I wanted to do was create a display for each cylinder misfire counts via Torques ability to create custom PIDs. As it stands, Torque is "supposed" to support that but I found that the app is only sending 4 of the 6 hex characters. It will not return tangible results, it returns a group status for all of the cylinders and the data cannot be displayed. In other words, it recognized the individual cyclinder misfire counts but there is no way to display the results properly and there is no way to set up alarms for when they do exceed a threshold. I asked Torque folks to validate that all 6 hex characters are being sent.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Busted Knuckles

I purchased Forscan, I like it better, however, I haven't figured out how to get the old mode 6 codes.
Its all very confusing, each model year supports different codes, before '99 the misfire code was mode 6 $51, after it was changed to $53, then Ford added "extended" codes using mode 22. I find that most tools use the extended codes ONLY, but, evidently mode 6 codes were or are still supported in newer trucks. Now its all CAN-BUS. To make matters worse, my truck responds to a few "22" codes.

In summary, each scan tool provider implements a different version of Ford Codes, most are not labeled by actual code so you dont know what code it sends. It is very difficult to find out exactly what codes are being sent.
So far, the Torque app is the best as it actually displays individual cylinder counts but only after you run the test. This is good but I either have to feel a misfire and then run the test or simply run them occasionally to make sure all is well. I want to watch a real-time display that will produce an audible alert when they exceed a threshold.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM
mbb

Originally Posted by gkoenig
Thanks everyone, great stuff.

Torque has built-in tests, in my case it runs the mode 6 tests and then provides results as pass or fail via a green check mark. The mode 6 $53 $00-$07 are for the specific misfire counts for each individual cylinder. The results are completely blank as if they are not supported or do not return any data.
What I am finding out is that if there is a misfire count after the tests it will show the results as pass or fail, determined by pre programmed percentages. I have seen values for my cylinders #2 and #5. I cleaned up the boot on #2 yesterday and the test now shows a "blank" for #2, today I see 81 misfires for #5, if they keep coming back then I will clean up the grease on the boot.

What I wanted to do was create a display for each cylinder misfire counts via Torques ability to create custom PIDs. As it stands, Torque is "supposed" to support that but I found that the app is only sending 4 of the 6 hex characters. It will not return tangible results, it returns a group status for all of the cylinders and the data cannot be displayed. In other words, it recognized the individual cyclinder misfire counts but there is no way to display the results properly and there is no way to set up alarms for when they do exceed a threshold. I asked Torque folks to validate that all 6 hex characters are being sent.
I think you have a problem running torque in your phone, and communicting via the elm
If aquisition is slow....things appear like dont work
Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Busted Knuckles

Thanks, yes I thought that as well, however the test for each cylinder does not give a "pass" for each cylinder, the results are simply "blank". Only the cylinders that have a value will show up in the results. Very confusing.
I can leave the test running for an hour or do it over and over and this remains the case. At first it looks as if the test is not supported, when in reality, there is no active value, no misfires.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Busted Knuckles

I confirmed that the android app "scan master" also runs the mode 6 tests. No way to enter custom PIDs as far as I can tell.
As for torque, it wont display any test results for each cylinder unless there is an active misfire count. Also, it takes about 5 minutes to clear once you fix the misfire condition. Still cant set up a custom 0653xx PID.