Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

01 f150 Fail! I need advice. Thank you!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 f150 Fail! I need advice. Thank you!!

So I've been an F-150 owner for about 7 years now... picked up the truck when it had 60k on it. Now has 135.

5.4. Super Crew, 4X4.

A few weeks ago she started running like hell... I had no idea what to do, so I took her to Ford (oops)... they diagnosed it as a leaking intake manifold gasket and quoted me $569 to fix it. I opted to do it myself, and paid them $86 for the diagnosis.

After some horrible aches and pains and a great learning experience, I fired her up and she ran EXACTLY the same as before. Oh yeah, forgot to say, plug number 4...I think, was basically dead, all the others looked fine. I replaced all of course.

So, I was at a loss... So I took it back to Ford, since they did the first diagnosis... (oops)... and 1 week later they told me cylinder 7 (I assume plug 4 goes in there?? THat doesn't make sense.. but??? or maybe I misunderstood something... it WAS the cylinder with the bad plug though)... has 100% compression loss... and that I must have dropped something in there when changing the plugs and caused an intake valve to stick... (there way of getting out of first mis-diagnosis... IMO). The fix is best case scenario, 2k... but more like $3500-$4100... to pull head, etc...

I do not have that kind of money right now... this is a bad time for this to happen. i take it to another local mechanic and he diagnosis's it about the same and says its $2500 to fix the problem, or $5100 to put a 3 yr warranty nice new motor in...

I am at a loss... 140 on truck. All works well. New tires, new brakes, $1000 new front end work 2 yrs ago. Cant imagine dumping it as is, I'd get what? Maybe a thousand for it? THen I'd turn around and buy something for about 7-8k... and that something would have 140,000 miles on it... and the motor would too... I am leaning towards the new motor... my main weak link after that would be tranny... what is the life expectancy on the tranny??? Anybody?

The way I am seeing it, is for $5000, i will be sitting on a truck that has 140k on it, but with a warrantied motor with zero miles... versus... buying another similar rig for 7k or more... and not knowing if the motor will crap or not...

Do I have any other options??? Ugh.

The 2nd mechanic told me what they usually see, is there is some little insert in the head that the intake valve goes through and they become "un-seated" or something like that and move... Just FYI...

THank you very much for any opinions!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, the second diagnosis cost me $300 an I towed the rig out of there when I drove it in...
Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Id opt for the new engine...as long as what you say is true and the rest of the truck is in great condition..thats what I would do..good luck
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Does anyone know if there are issues with that transmission? At certain mileage a? Does it have a life expectancy?? That seems like the only huge dollar thing that could go wrong...
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Hornseeker
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Does anyone know if there are issues with that transmission? At certain mileage a? Does it have a life expectancy?? That seems like the only huge dollar thing that could go wrong...
I'm going through a similar issue. I need a new engine and had to decide what to do.
My mechanic said these transmissions are pretty good so long as they are not abused (ie lots of burnouts, big tires, lots of towing (at or above recomended weights) or fluid running low or getting water in it.

I have an 12 yr old chassis with 164,000 miles on it and wondered if I should just sell it or what, he told me it is worth it in the long run to get a used motor put in (so I am, we are looking for a good donor right now).
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM

So, any idea on what a decent used motor might cost vs something like the mechanic quoted me? The one he quoted is fully reconditioned... zero miles...

Unless the used one was a LOT cheaper... I would sure be tempted to just pony up and get the new one...

Good luck Blue!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Used one is around $800-$1500 around here. Plus a grand or so to install.

I'd opt for used. It is still a 13 year old pickup.

Transmissions are a gamble. There isn't a life expectancy. Unless I said between 80k and 300k. Mine went at 90k. They are not the best, even when taken care of.

Last edited by Tackle; 12-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM

So.... what are the best avenues for finding a used engine? I mean, i'm looking at 5100 for the new... that's with 3200 in the motor... If I could get this girl running good for 3 thousand instead... that would be nice. F... I don't know...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Hornseeker
So.... what are the best avenues for finding a used engine? I mean, i'm looking at 5100 for the new... that's with 3200 in the motor... If I could get this girl running good for 3 thousand instead... that would be nice. F... I don't know...
Bone yards, scrap yards, junk yards, auto yards, whatever they are called in your neck of the woods. Hit up Google. Some places record the mileage, some do not.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM

I'll start making some calls... see what they have around here. just a little scary, not knowing if the motor was abused or what... damn it... this is one of those decisions that will tear me up...

Quick Reply: 01 f150 Fail! I need advice. Thank you!!