Topic Sponsor
Northeast CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, WV

Long Island NY - places to go offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Long Island NY - places to go offroad

Long Island is so built up that it seems impossible to find any open trails.
I read somewhere about the Holbrook Costco trail, and something behind the Brookhaven shooting range. Those posts weren't very specific, so without clear instructions I drove around today, exploring both places. I could not find anything that's accessible.
The place by Costco is just a trail cut for a power line across the woods. If I tried very hard I probably could have gotten in there, but I saw someone walking their dog and didn't want to be a jerk. It was not very interesting anyway.
The other place by the shooting range. I don't think it exists, unless the original poster literally meant behind the targets - which, given the ongoing shooting activity didn't seem like a smart idea. There wasn't any other trail, but maybe I was looking at the wrong place. There is a huge fishing/hunting area across route 25, but it's all fenced off and even the hunters leave their cars outside and just walk.

Does anyone know of other places? I'd like to collect them all in this thread, with very clear instructions, coordinates or links to maps.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greg150
Long Island is so built up that it seems impossible to find any open trails.
I read somewhere about the Holbrook Costco trail, and something behind the Brookhaven shooting range. Those posts weren't very specific, so without clear instructions I drove around today, exploring both places. I could not find anything that's accessible.
The place by Costco is just a trail cut for a power line across the woods. If I tried very hard I probably could have gotten in there, but I saw someone walking their dog and didn't want to be a jerk. It was not very interesting anyway.
The other place by the shooting range. I don't think it exists, unless the original poster literally meant behind the targets - which, given the ongoing shooting activity didn't seem like a smart idea. There wasn't any other trail, but maybe I was looking at the wrong place. There is a huge fishing/hunting area across route 25, but it's all fenced off and even the hunters leave their cars outside and just walk.

Does anyone know of other places? I'd like to collect them all in this thread, with very clear instructions, coordinates or links to maps.
I have been in the Holbrook Costco trail. It isnt much but after a rain you can get your rig real dirty. Lots of giant mud puddles. Be careful, lots of debris back there. Check it out from google earth. I know out in Calverton there was an old sand mine that looks sick from google earth. I have always wanted to go in there. There looks like some awesome ATV track as well. Its just south of the ball fields by the cemetery on 25.
Attached Thumbnails Long Island NY - places to go offroad-calverton.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjklongisland

I have been in the Holbrook Costco trail. It isnt much but after a rain you can get your rig real dirty. Lots of giant mud puddles. Be careful, lots of debris back there. Check it out from google earth. I know out in Calverton there was an old sand mine that looks sick from google earth. I have always wanted to go in there. There looks like some awesome ATV track as well. Its just south of the ball fields by the cemetery on 25.
I know that spot, that's the hunting area I was referring to...impossible to get in, seriously fenced off, I tried from every side.

Quick Reply: Long Island NY - places to go offroad