Topic Sponsor
North Central IL, IN, IA, NE, SD, ND, MI, MN, WI, OH

Looking for the impossible: My dads old truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the impossible: My dads old truck

Hello, Hello.
Pardon me if I just right to the chase this is my first post. I grew up in Westville Indiana and My Dad used to drive a 79 F150 with the Explorer package. I had the crazy idea of trying to find it again all I really have to go off of is that it was maroon with the orange and brown stripes. When I find a picture of it I'll post it. I'm sure I am being vague and not very helpful. I really don't know where to start other than these forums.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Using it like a truck

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can get the VIN, you could run a Carfax on it to get an idea where it is (where it was sold or serviced last). If you don't have the VIN, any place where your dad ever took it for service probably recorded the VIN so you could give them his name and get the VIN. Hope that helps!
Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by stock-ish
If you can get the VIN, you could run a Carfax on it to get an idea where it is (where it was sold or serviced last). If you don't have the VIN, any place where your dad ever took it for service probably recorded the VIN so you could give them his name and get the VIN. Hope that helps!
CarFax doesnt work on pre 17 digit VINS, they didnt come out until the 1980 MY
Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

If you don't have the VIN you can get it from Ford if your dad bought the truck new. Might take some time but they have the records of all pre-81 vehicles. Once you have the VIN there are some ways to find the vehicle if it still exists. Do you know a cop? They can access the national database and at least find out who plated the vehicle the last time it had plates. Credit agencies have the VIN's of the vehicles owned by people in their databases. This can cost you though. What I heard about this method involved a notarized letter of intent about why you're looking for the vehicle. Then they work as a go between with the owner, if they know who it is, and find out if the owner wants to be contacted about your intent. You might also ask your insurance rep. They have a lot of access to VIN's.

Quick Reply: Looking for the impossible: My dads old truck