Topic Sponsor
Northwest AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY

Need info on relocating to Boise, ID area

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Need info on relocating to Boise, ID area

My wife and I are wanting to relocate to ID. I have a couple interviews in the NW Boise area and we are looking at housing in the Caldwell / Meridian area.

I have some questions and would like some insight and info from people in the area if possible.

1. What is up with HOA's in the greater Boise area? It seems like every home I look at, even ones in older neighborhoods have a HOA fee anywhere from $9 - 100 a month. Many of them dont have overbearing CC&R rules but damn. I guess it is no different than cities enforcing code but I guess I think of HOA's as a bunch of snooty people making up overreaching rules, and yes I know they are legally enforceable.

2. Almost every home comes with a sprinkler system. I understand those are needed in order to have a green lawn. What I have been unable to find out is where does the water come from - an irrigation system or city water? I am wondering what the water rates are then? If I buy a house where there is a HOA and they require the lawn to be watered then is it going to cost me $300 a month in water fees?

3. Any additional thoughts and helpful info on someone moving to the area would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We moved to Caldwell about 8 years ago from Washington State. We have a HOA that runs about 100.00 per year. There has not been a meeting in the 8 years we've been here and the HOA is administered by a property management company. The fees go mostly to irrigating & mowing the common areas. Irrigation is unmetered and runs about 120.00 per year. Our irrigation is run by the City of Caldwell. There are a number if irrigation entities in the area and it will depend on where you live. I was born in Cherokee, IA. I still go back every few years to see some of my cousins.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello IAJack, I see it has been a month from the time you first posted your question and just yesterday got a reply. I just joined a couple weeks ago myself. Did you get moved? The boise area is a great place to live. I have been here all my life. Currently live in Eagle.
I'm a Realtor and been in the business for 25 years. As far as HOA's They come in many forms and prices. The more the amenities in the subdivision the more the cost. As Darius said most of the fees go for irrigation and mowing the common areas. Some are better maintained then others and are more strict in enforcing the CC&Rs.
Most water is cheep and most come from city services. Some come from irrigation ditch and are plumbed to the houses. Still cost is generally very cheep. Mine for the whole house runs from $32.00 a month in the summer to around $8.00 a month in the winter.
If you are an out doors person you will love the area. We have it all. Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking just to name a few.
I hope all is well with you and Good luck with your new adventure.
The following users liked this post:
IAJack (01-12-2017)