Topic Sponsor
Southwest AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT

AZ resident buying vehicle privately in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default AZ resident buying vehicle privately in CA?

I moved to AZ earlier this year. I found a car that I am interested in in CA. Can anyone tell me what the process is for a private sale in CA. Again the sale would be private and the title is in the sellers hands with no lien.

Do I have to register the vehicle in CA in order to drive it home to AZ?

Is there a temp registration for this available in CA.

Do I have to pay CA sales tax to the seller or to the DMV when I register it in CA, or do I just drive it to AZ and then register it and pay their taxes?

There is a lot of conflicting info in this and I am finding a hard time finding an answer from the seller or on the intraweb. I would have to get it back to AZ and then have the title all delayed and messed up.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Go buy it if that is what you want. A private sale is just that: a private sale. If the current owner holds the title free and clear he simply signs it over to you and you drive it back to AZ. Then go into the nearest DMV office and register it. DMV may do a walk around inspection but I wouldn't worry about it. You may also have to run it through emissions. They will then issue you a new title, registration and plate then call it a day.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

I assumed that CA being CA they would want their money via sales tax or temp registration come hell or high water.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have the owner meet you then in Yuma / Quartzsite / Parker / Kingman or wherever your closest entry into CA is. Transfer there. Let it be the former owner's problem if there is one which I doubt. CA has bigger issues to deal with than two private citizens transferring private property to each other.