Topic Sponsor

Engine Rattle and Drive Trane clunk on a 2018 5.0 150

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle and Drive Trane clunk on a 2018 5.0 150

I have a 2018 150 with the 5.0 and I have a couple issues and was wondering if any else has these. 1. if a step on the gas lightly and release i hear a distinct rattle every time, i can hear it plain as day or if i slow down and get back on the gas i hear it 2. About every a few engine start ups i hear a clunk and can feel it for sure like the drive shaft slips then catches, not sure if these two issues are related but 100% i can hear both issues no problem
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 5.0 with a similar issue. When I accelerate hard from a stop there is a distinct rattling sound. Also, shifting tends to be very clunky, sometimes enough to jar the entire vehicle. I brought it to Ford several times. The first time they said it was low on transmission fluid (only had 35k miles), the second time they said the solenoids were bad and replaced them, and the third time they rebuilt the entire transmission (under warranty of course). After the third time the issues were gone, until about two weeks later they started again (mostly shifting down from 2nd to 1st, and up from 4th to 5th). Now, I have flashed the truck with a 5star tune and while the performance is great, all of these issues are much more noticeable. So now I am driving without the tune and confused about what the root cause. Also, my truck was manufactured in Canada.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardmetalmike
I have a 2018 150 with the 5.0 and I have a couple issues and was wondering if any else has these. 1. if a step on the gas lightly and release i hear a distinct rattle every time, i can hear it plain as day or if i slow down and get back on the gas i hear it 2. About every a few engine start ups i hear a clunk and can feel it for sure like the drive shaft slips then catches, not sure if these two issues are related but 100% i can hear both issues no problem
Is it this what your talking about?

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/17-3-...ht=2018+rattle
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mulloyrp
I have a 2015 5.0 with a similar issue. ... ... Also, my truck was manufactured in Canada.
Manufactured IN Canada or FOR Canada?

I thought that only Dearborn and Kansas City manufactured F150s in recent years.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardmetalmike
Brand new 2019 Lariat. 5.0

Rattles each time gas pedal lifted for first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
Apparently timing chain slapping around... if I let the truck warm up before I take it out, I don't seem to encounter this.

Loud metal on metal clunk just as engine fires up at end of cranking. Suspect it's the starter disengaging...
I don't suspect drive shaft since obviously the truck is not in gear... really only notice it if i use the remote start.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I call mine the clunk o matic.. at higher torque it clunks when I let off the gas. Climbing a hill.. pulling my camper.. Ford could care less.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine rattle on deceleration is a common issue, ford released a technical service bulletin to address this issue (TSB #18-2354). Heres a link to a good video on it and theres also a link in the video to the TSB.
As far as the clunk on startup, my 2018 does the same thing. Not sure what it is or if its related, I have an appointment next week to get the rattle issue taken care of, I'll report back on the results and if it affected the startup clunk also.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Engine rattle by tipping off the throttle is largely documented guys. Search this forum, you will get a ride for your money. My personal take: the truck is built like this, nothing to fix.

About the clunk at startup, I noticed that too. I think
it is related to parking brake (mine is electric): it could be the sudden, but very short, torque spike transmitted to the wheels at startup. If engaged, the parking brake acts against this torque spike, resulting in a clunk. If parking brake not engaged, no clunk at startup.

let me know if you experience the same thing.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the PCM update done on my truck today, the rattle is totally gone. Overall the engine sounds better and the truck drives a lot better when its cold.
As for the clunk on startup, its still there. One thing I've noticed, the amount of pressure I put on the brake pedal during the start seems to make a difference on how hard the clunk is felt. What I mean is if I just barely press the brake pedal the clunk is a lot more noticeable vs if I put heavier pressure on the brakes when I hit the start button.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by fx4dsg
I got the PCM update done on my truck today, the rattle is totally gone. Overall the engine sounds better and the truck drives a lot better when its cold.
As for the clunk on startup, its still there. One thing I've noticed, the amount of pressure I put on the brake pedal during the start seems to make a difference on how hard the clunk is felt. What I mean is if I just barely press the brake pedal the clunk is a lot more noticeable vs if I put heavier pressure on the brakes when I hit the start button.
Well, good thing for you. May Ask if you tested the off throttle rattle in Drive?

It is my understanding that the PCM flash fix the rattle
when warm and with transmission in Neutral.

Could you confirm that your Rattle is gone while the engine is Cold (first start of the day) and with transmission in Drive?

Quick Reply: Engine Rattle and Drive Trane clunk on a 2018 5.0 150