Topic Sponsor

Damaged Oil Filter @ 7500km

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damaged Oil Filter @ 7500km

I just did the first oil change on my truck. Currently at 7500km. When the filter was removed the mechanic (not the dealer) found a piece of plastic/rubber coming out of the inside of the filter. He advised me i should show the dealer. Talked to the dealer and told me that it "shouldn't" be a problem and that he thought it was probably the the diaphragm in the bottom of the filter that failed. This means that for some period of time un-filtered oil could have been going to the engine. I never got any warning lights or loss of pressure or anything like that. I am just paranoid that I may have possibly damaged my new truck already. Has anyone else experienced this? Did you have any luck with the dealer?
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Oil Filter @ 7500km-img_1316.jpg  
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

I've never seen that before. I think it is a good thing you had a mechanic change the oil because if that was the dealer, they would have never showed you. Although, this could be a "what you don't know won't hurt you" type of thing to keep you from worrying about it. I think the best thing you can do is get it on file at the dealer so if something does happen down the road, you have the filter issue already documented. Unless you're hearing unusual engine noises, I don't think the dealer will be any help.
The following 2 users liked this post by bachman44:
Phawksey (10-07-2017), Tyler L (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply bachman44. I agree that the dealer would probably not have shown be that as well. I will document it and get it on file with the dealer like you said. They suggested that I bring it to them next time so that they can inspect the filter after the change for any issues.....filings/contaminants...etc but i'm hesitant to go to them for service. I have reached out the the sales and service managers as well to get their input as well.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler L (10-07-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Old enough to know better

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely make the dealer aware.
Keep those photos and the notes your mechanic made. Hopefully your truck has a long life and no problems. But just incase it doesn't. I would be more concerned about the restriction than the dirty oil myself.
But call me paranoid, the first oil change on any new vehicles I buy happens early on. My new truck had 731 kms on it when I changed the oil.
Most people do not take this extra I realize that.
But I just cannot leave that original oil in there for long, I'm somewhat OCD.
Or maybe just been turning wrenches for too long.