Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Yes, another effin spark plug failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Yes, another effin spark plug failure

Let me just say, yes, I am pretty mechanically inclined. Have owned many trucks from different Makes and generally do my own installs and maintenance. My truck has 90K miles.

I am pretty freaking mad right now with these sh+tty Motorcraft plugs! Today I attempted the notorious spark plug change. Everything went pretty smooth and I followed the TSB and everyone's advice who had a successful experience. Well, I got 7 of 8 out but the last one was a major fail. The passenger side #2 plug broke on me and the Lisle tool cannot extract it. I even called the Lisle hotline and they tried to walk me through and problem shoot but to no avail. The extraction screw just would not catch and screw into the porcelain. The bottom metal part of the spark plug is stuck in the engine.

Had to get my truck towed to the dealer and am being quoted $350 for them to extract and put in new plugs.

From my experience, I can say that when you're backing these plugs out and you're hearing them screech with each turn, then thats a good sign that the metal from plugs is getting separated from the engine. I knew I was doomed with that #2 plug when it screeched for a few turns of the wrench then it went silent as I was cranking.

I'll update later with my final cost. FYI, I'm putting Champion 7989 plugs in. There should seriously be a class action law suit for the crappy engineered design of these plugs, people who own these trucks are paying so much money for this flaw.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just when I was feeling confident that I could do my own change in January. Stories like this make me cringe. Hopefully everything comes out OK, and they don't end up charging you even more.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Swamp Donkey

Sorry to hear about it. I have completely chickened out on trying to do mine. I will take mine to the dealer in 30K miles and pay dearly for their engineering flaw.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading post like this make me hate ford. But tomorrow I will love it again
Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LUVmyDUX
Let me just say, yes, I am pretty mechanically inclined. Have owned many trucks from different Makes and generally do my own installs and maintenance. My truck has 90K miles.

I am pretty freaking mad right now with these sh+tty Motorcraft plugs! Today I attempted the notorious spark plug change. Everything went pretty smooth and I followed the TSB and everyone's advice who had a successful experience. Well, I got 7 of 8 out but the last one was a major fail. The passenger side #2 plug broke on me and the Lisle tool cannot extract it. I even called the Lisle hotline and they tried to walk me through and problem shoot but to no avail. The extraction screw just would not catch and screw into the porcelain. The bottom metal part of the spark plug is stuck in the engine.

Had to get my truck towed to the dealer and am being quoted $350 for them to extract and put in new plugs.

From my experience, I can say that when you're backing these plugs out and you're hearing them screech with each turn, then thats a good sign that the metal from plugs is getting separated from the engine. I knew I was doomed with that #2 plug when it screeched for a few turns of the wrench then it went silent as I was cranking.

I'll update later with my final cost. FYI, I'm putting Champion 7989 plugs in. There should seriously be a class action law suit for the crappy engineered design of these plugs, people who own these trucks are paying so much money for this flaw.
This is why i am gong to have someone else do this and I dont even want to attempt it.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
"Its all good"

Originally Posted by LUVmyDUX

I am waiting for the Lisle tool right now to finish my job...I really really hope it works for me! This story has me really worried. I am not worried about the money, I am worried about telling my wife, who has been saying all along not to bother with it!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I was actually cruising right along before I ran into the broken plug. I was about 1.5hr into it with 7 plugs fully removed and not broken but then that very last plug snapped. Lisle tool failed so what can I do? Really wished the Lisle tool worked for me, if I did I would have been happy and felt confident in doing the spark plug change for someone else. I guess if you have the money, just pay to have it done.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

and they want $350.00 just to mess with the one plug?

Quick Reply: Yes, another effin spark plug failure