Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

xl truck trying to add a bsm

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xl truck trying to add a bsm

i am attemping to add a bsm with the door locks windows and all that but i have hit a snag.

i have this purple wire that comes from the bsm to the main body harness connector next to the hood release. it says its a ubp bus wire (idk what it would route to) i do know its a communication wire. i was wondering if i just splice it into the ubp wire (purple also)at the data link connector it would function the same. or if i have to go somewhere else. also there is this same wire in the instrument cluster wire. any help on this would be very helpful.

(bucko may be able to help?)
Old 12-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I know this post is over a year old... hopefully you have email notifications

Did you ever get this to work?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by technokami
I know this post is over a year old... hopefully you have email notifications

Did you ever get this to work?
Yea I did actually, just nabbed a harness from a similar truck and harvested all the required wires, found a new power source (because XL does not have run delay) and now have power locks ,windows, auto lamps, and keyless.
The following users liked this post:
technokami (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Do you have any pictures or notes from the install? I'm about to tackle this install myself and I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by technokami
Do you have any pictures or notes from the install? I'm about to tackle this install myself and I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
We'll no pics sorry, but if you want to tackle this I suggest going to autozone website and downloading all the wiring guides and study like crazy. But just ask questions and maybe I can help you through it
Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by D-dude
We'll no pics sorry, but if you want to tackle this I suggest going to autozone website and downloading all the wiring guides and study like crazy. But just ask questions and maybe I can help you through it
On second thought I'll get some pics tomorrow to help, need to look at a different problem anyway.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 AM

I guess I'll finally break down and pay for an alldata subscription for my truck to help with this , Did you mount it in the factory location? Were you able to tie it in to the existing wiring harnesses (excluding power options of course) or did you have to create a mostly new harness? As a guess how much extra wire needed to be run? I'm sure I'll have more questions as I proceed with the install, but this should help a lot with the initial setup.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM

I was able to use an old harness from a junkyard, but the drivers door was missing so I had to re do that section. I pulled out all of the existing wires in the new harness that I needed, then installed the partial harness into my harness. And as to the factory location, it was a little short so kinda. Mostly with duct tape. And I was able to use about one small spool of wire.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM

I have been going over the wiring diagrams and it all seems pretty straight forward. I have the harnesses for both doors and the harness for the BSM that runs to the main harness, so it should just be a matter of a lot of wire splicing. Now if only getting the accessory delay functional was this easy.

Edit: One more question, were you able to find most of the splicing points in the cab or were most in the engine bay?

Last edited by technokami; 12-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:28 AM

All the points were in cab, never went into the engine bay.
And as for the delay relay I just spliced into a constant power, so windows work forever (lol)
One issue I had was trying to get the dash to light up when auto lamps turn on, so I just used power from the actual auto lamp on signal. This turns on the dash lights, but if you turn on parking lights lamps turn on anyway. But it didn't matter for me,

Quick Reply: xl truck trying to add a bsm