Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Would you even consider this ‘trade’?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Would you even consider this ‘trade’?

I’ll start by saying that this post is somewhat just talking out loud, so I can gauge how crazy I’m talking, ha. Here’s the situation:

I have an 08 reg. cab XL, V6, 5-speed (see sig for all details); I bought it new in June of 08, have taken good care of it, I’ve done all standard/required maintenance, and I owe ~$7k on it (less than 2 years of payments left). It’s been a great truck, and the reg cab/short bed/FX4 wheels/rally stripes combo makes for one of the best looking F-150s, IMO, and I love having the manual transmission! My only complaint/concern with the truck is that it has started to have a sort of knocking noise on cold start, and Ford claims it's normal. Regardless, if I could go back and buy my truck again, I’d have gotten an extended cab, probably an STX or XLT 4x4; I say this because I’ve come to regret not having a backseat in the truck, I’d like to have the nicer seats, I might as well have a V8 since I get roughly the same mileage with the 2wd V6 as I see 2wd & 4wd V8 owners getting, and while it’s not REQUIRED, I’d rather have the 4x4 than not, especially for when I haul the boat.

I've considered upgrading to a new ’11 XLT, 3.7L, ext. cab 4x4, and I'm still contemplating it considering the rebates and end-of-model-year deals, but that's a lot of money and a lot more years of payments...it'd have to be a GREAT deal and they'd have to give me a lot on trade to make a deal. Anyway, in lieu of considering a new F-150, I've been casually looking at what's for sale on the used market, looking for a potential deal on an 04-08 with the configuration I would like:

And so, I came upon a red 04 STX, manual t-case 4x4, 4.6L, ext cab, cruise, A/C, CD, no power options, sliding rear wind, looks like upgraded factory wheels & good tires, and it looks great in the pics...BUT, it's got 119k on it, and it's an 04, aka the first of the generation, and, clearly, I don't know the history...they want $9k for it. I also found an 04 XLT 4x4, same setup but with the power options and tow pkg, 99k miles, Ultimately, my question is, would you guys consider a 'trade' of this sort? Or am I crazy for even contemplating an 'upgrade' of this sort? Thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The ecoboost is brand new.....and there are ALWAYS problems with any brand new powertrain. That being said, I have done a LOT of research and reading, both here and elsewhere, and from what Ive read, the 04-05(I have an 05) are nightmares with powertrain issues. But this was also when ford changed body styles and powertrains before(04 series). Mine ticks like crazy when cold, but that is just the injectors which are very loud. between the choice of older verses newer, I'd go with new, simply because it has a warranty. Let FORD eat it if it screws up. The cheapest rebuilt engine I have found for mine is about 2500$.......that's a lot out of pocket, and always a risk with an older truck. And I also don't believe knocking is "normal" so I don't blame you for geting rid of it.
good luck!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stick with what you have, pay it off, drive it into the ground.

I'm not sold on the eco boost yet, I want to see how it holds up after 100K mikes, when the turbo seals start to go, when the turbo's suck all the oil out of the engine, when the cranks fail due to being twisted, etc etc etc.

I am not against turbocharging, what I am against is engineers and bean counters not spending the money to do it right.

PS the small V8 in terribly underpowered to start with, towing just makes it words

Last edited by Neggy; 11-12-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The only thing I'd like to point out is that, if I were to get a 2011 model, it would be with the 3.7L, NOT the 3.5L Ecoboost...I've seen too many posts of issues and low MPG to go for the Ecoboost at this point, though I love the idea. We'll see, I doubt I'm gonna make a change, but we'll see how good a deal in an 11 can get.

Quick Reply: Would you even consider this ‘trade’?