Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Won't start after oil change and Efans

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after oil change and Efans

Hey guys this is my first post. Love the site and your combined knowledge. So I need help.. Bad !! I desided to do my first maintanice run through on my 06 5.4 f150 and replace my stock fan with troyer efans. Started with the fuel filter and an oil change. Simple enough but the oil filter is practically unacessable because I have a skid plate that is almost impossible to take off. So I desided to take the fan off and reach the filter from the top. Took the air intake off then the radiator hose was in the way so I drained the hose and removed it. Took the fan off, changed the filter, replaced oil, put everything back on but I did not wire the fans up because I wanted to crank over the engine to check the fluid levels before finishing the fans. I tried to start it and it threw a code before I could even crank it over. So I went to the autoparts store and rented an obd reader and it would not sync up to my trucks computer. It kept saying "unable to sync with vehicle, check connection". the truck is not letting me turn it over just keeps saying "check gauges".

Here is what I have done to check the problem: check if its in park, checked fuses, waited 24 hours to dry out everything from the radiator coolent that was spilled, checked grounds, checked all electrical connections. The only thing I'm thinking is the computer is sensing there is low coolent but I can't get coolest in the engine with out turning over, right?

Thanks for what ever help comes and have a blessed thanksgiving to you and your families
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

***** sounds like something aint right.

you should still be able to start the truck without proper coolant level, that shouldnt be the problem.

did you check the battery charge? also did you check to make sure you didnt unplug something on accident?

theres gotta be an easier way to change the oil than doing what you did man. not sure how much different the set up between the 02 and 06 5.4s is as far as oil filter location but im pretty sure its the same place. ive got a skid plate on mine but can still access it with no problem.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Wont even crank and is setting codes? Then that is a hard fault. Something has permanently failed or not plugged in. You need to read the codes. Get a different scanner. That doesn't work? Then its a bad fuse or fusible link. All fuses good? You've got a communication issue and that could be many different things.

Id try a better scanner first, something that costs more than $20 like the auto parts store have.

Edit: Just rethought my post. Check gauges and the check engine light will come on with key on engine off. You may not even have any codes. Its not cranking, so check the starter. Make sure the starter has power and that it is getting power when in the crank position. If its getting power on the small wire, then the starter is bad. If it isnt getting power on the small wire while trying to crank, its a different issue.

Last edited by SuzukiRider; 11-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you turn the key to crank the engine do you hear a click from the fuse box area?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 AM

I don't think so, ill check tomorrow morning. Honestly it is dead silent when I turn the key besides the beep from the "check gauges" alert. Ill try banging on the starter again and take it to a mechanic for a code reading. Thanks guys
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try swapping the PCM relay in the fuse box with the one beside..(fog lights relay)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneill_1952
Try swapping the PCM relay in the fuse box with the one beside..(fog lights relay)

^^^^^^ x 2. If I ever have any issues with our trucks not starting, that is the first thing I look for is the PCM relay. If you are not hearing a CLICK sound when you turn the key then the relay is out. That is why the scanner is not able to communicate with the truck.

When you turn the key to your truck ( without starting it ) the CEL should turn on and then go off. If you dont see the CEL turn on at all then your relay is bad. They cost around 13 bucks at autozone.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Tryed switching the PCM relay but did nothing but I do hear a click when I turn the ignition over. Both relays are working. Tried tapping on the starter but have not checked the power to the starter yet. I did hook up my SCT tuner and it could not read the DTC either. I think I'm just going to haul it over to a mechanic.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Did you mess with any wires while getting ready for the Efan install? Or wash the engine bay??

If you have a lariat, press the info button in the message center and see if it will even run a system check.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 PM

no i did not mess with any wires. haven't even wired the fans up yet. wish i had a lariat but mine is just a supercab 5.4 im going to haul it over later in the day. you know i did leak A LOT of radiator fluid down the front passenger side when i pulled the hose off. maybe shorted something out.

Quick Reply: Won't start after oil change and Efans