Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wiper Pivot Arm Free Travel

Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Pivot Arm Free Travel

Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L. For some time I have noticed that my wipers flutter at speed, about 50 mph and above. Yesterday, I was working on my windshield cowl. I removed the blade arms and noticed that the pivot arm that the blade arm attaches to has about 1/8" free travel (slop). Can this be fixed without changing the entire wiper linkage? I stopped by a Ford dealer this morning and pulled one of the 2015 wiper arms. No free travel (slop). I appreciate your help. I also ordered two new cowl ends from e-bay that the parts guy at Ford said were unavailable. I am using Maguiar's Ultimate Black restorer to freshen all of the exterior plastic. So far, so good on that.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Is it slop in the linkage or is it just the teeth that are on the connection from the linkage to the wiper?

You could pull the plastic cowl off and see what needs to be tightened up in there if it is inside. Probably just a loose screw or something.

My girlfriends old Dakota had the teeth strip out and I just drilled and put a pop rivet in to hold it in the correct spot instead of slipping/slopping around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Pivot Arm Free Travel