Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Window just fell into the door....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window just fell into the door....

So i have searched and searched the internet about this problem, and it seems to be a pretty common thing with this truck. I was driving down the road, and for no good reason, the window just fell into the door, followed by the grinding noise countless other people have described after the incident.

My question to you folks is, what exactly went bad, how do I fix it, and where do i get the parts to fix it? I should have the mechanical know how to fix it myself, but i dont know exactly what part I need to replace. I am guessing its the regulator or the motor itself. Where is the best place to buy the parts? Anything I need to watch out for during this procedure?

Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to becoming an active member of this site.

Its an 04 Four Door, new body style.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Had something similiar happen to my '04 F150 a few weeks back, without the noise. I had rolled my front drivers window down, and when I rolled it back up, I heard a pop, and the window no longer rolled up. Took the door panel off and got to the window.

The motor still ran, but didn't drive the cable mechanism used to lift the actual window. In my case, the cable was still intact as well.

I did the following.
-Carefully pulled the clear plastic back so I could access all the bolts.
-Unbolted the glass from the clamps. used an stick inserted 'crosswise' to keep the window up
-unbolted the track and the motor and carefully removed from the door. (turns out the little plastic cog on the motor that engages the actual cable drive mechanism had snapped)
-got a new unit (sold as a single complete unit containing the lift and the motor) and installed in reverse order

Things that I learned:
-remove the bolts behind the grab handle prior to pulling the door panel off (I didn't get them all off the first time)
-remove the lower speaker nuts that the speaker screws attach to so you can lift off the door panel.
-go slow and have a beer.

To answer your specific questions

I bought my parts at the Ford Dealership in Tacoma ($180)
I wasn't able to see exactly what was broken til I had it out.
I have a 2004 F150 Supercab, new body style

Last edited by 04SilverF150; 10-08-2008 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GeezLouise (08-16-2021)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM

awesome man, I really really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I will probably pay more here in Hawaii for the unit than you did, but its still better than the $470 that the dealer quoted me. And as you said, I will definately take my time, and ya cant really complain about yet another excuse to crack open a cold one, again, thanks for your help.
GeezLouise (08-16-2021)
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Shiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SilverF150
Had something similiar happen to my '04 F150 a few weeks back, without the noise. I had rolled my front drivers window down, and when I rolled it back up, I heard a pop, and the window no longer rolled up. Took the door panel off and got to the window.

The motor still ran, but didn't drive the cable mechanism used to lift the actual window. In my case, the cable was still intact as well.

I did the following.
-Carefully pulled the clear plastic back so I could access all the bolts.
-Unbolted the glass from the clamps. used an stick inserted 'crosswise' to keep the window up
-unbolted the track and the motor and carefully removed from the door. (turns out the little plastic cog on the motor that engages the actual cable drive mechanism had snapped)
-got a new unit (sold as a single complete unit containing the lift and the motor) and installed in reverse order

Things that I learned:
-remove the bolts behind the grab handle prior to pulling the door panel off (I didn't get them all off the first time)
-remove the lower speaker nuts that the speaker screws attach to so you can lift off the door panel.

To answer your specific questions

I bought my parts at the Ford Dealership in Tacoma ($180)
I wasn't able to see exactly what was broken til I had it out.
I have a 2004 F150 Supercab, new body style
Thank you so much for the tips. Had my rear driver fall in today and out of warranty. First one in driver's front door was covered under warranty. Not this time. Oh well, back to the beating. I am anxious to see how much they charge though. Will update when can. Todd
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM
its just whatever

the same thing happened in my 2004. I was driving and I heard a noise that sounded like my passenger door had been shot. I rolled down the window and it wouldn't roll back up. it just made a grinding noise. Turns out it was the actuator (The whole wire assembly) and I got it from the ford house for $108.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 AM

I bought mine here: www.silverstatefordparts.com. They used to be DIRECTFORDPARTS.COM, and had the best prices I could find. great service too.

I emailed them when I bought mine to confirm part numbers for my new body style 04 supercrew: Here are the part numbers and prices as of july 11 08, the prices may have changed.

R/Frt 4L3Z1523200CA Retail $151.45 Sell $107.50
L/Frt 4L3Z1523201CA Retail $144.87 Sell $102.83
R/Rer 6L3Z1627000AA Retail $131.70 Sell $98.48
L/Rer 6L3Z1627001AA Retail $131.70 Sell $93.48
Old 10-12-2008, 11:36 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention. I was hoping I could fix mine too. But after pulling it apart there was no easy way to fix the plastic part. Ford sure has come up with a good way to force us to buy new parts. Many people have had to replace all 4, it is only a matter of time before we all will.

The good news is it is easy to pull the interior panel off and hold the window up with locking pliers until the new regulator arrives. At least that way your truck doesn't get drenched. The worse part is not being to use the window for a while. But the cost savings was worth it to me to order it online.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
its just whatever

not if we only have 2!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Window fell into door

There is a product defect with power window regulator on all 2004-2008 F150 trucks. After my 2002 Expedition caught fire in my driveway and burned my home 2 months (a year AFTER recall cruise control deactivation harness work), this is really icing on the proverbial F-O-R-D Cake. Ford knows they have problems and refuse to address them. There have been literally HUNDREDS of window regulator issues across the country and we, as owners of Ford products, are being victimized. After the burned carcass of our Expedition was hauled away, we replaced it with a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Very easy to see why Toyota, and all imports, are ruining US car makers. The level of quality and attention to detail is miles above that of any US automaker. What we need to do as consumers is stop buying American-engineerd cars- PERIOD! That is our right, and that is our power. Besides, there's nothing more American about a Ford or GM than there is a Toyota or Nissan in today's corporate structure. This window thing is a serious safety problem and expensive to fix. Check out all the forums. There are hundreds of these cases and we are helpless against a large company going under because they don't care about the consumer. Thankfully, my repair will only cost me around $300 parts and labor as my window wasn't damaged. Only $300...
GeezLouise (08-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just can't wait till my window fails. Welcome to the site 04SilverF150. There are a few of us who really read instructions, I prefer to call "having a beer", conferring with the service manual.
GeezLouise (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Window just fell into the door....