Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Will it hurt to buy my gears first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will it hurt to buy my gears first?

Hi! I've got an 07 2wd v6. I want to put a leveling kit, possibly body lift, and 35's on it. I think I'd be ok if I regear before I do it.

Will it hurt anything to have the gears installed first, and what gears should I go with. Would I just be burning out all the time until I get the big tires on? Let me know what ya think.

thanks
jim
Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jam92102
Hi! I've got an 07 2wd v6. I want to put a leveling kit, possibly body lift, and 35's on it. I think I'd be ok if I regear before I do it.

Will it hurt anything to have the gears installed first, and what gears should I go with. Would I just be burning out all the time until I get the big tires on? Let me know what ya think.

thanks
jim
You can get higher gears first. You will burn more gas until you get the bigger tires. With the new gears, your torque at the back wheels will go up so you can definately burn the tires easier. When I ran 3.73's in my Mustang I burned up tires every 6 months. So I went with 3.28's and the tire wear issue was gone. However, I drive aggressively anyway.

Do a search on google or something for rpm calculators for new gears. You can type in your specs and see what rpm you'd be running with each gear set.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Inspector Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna warn you that even if you re-gear your truck, 35 inch tires are going to be too big for your V6. The rolling resistance and increased height (and what it does to your front cross section in terms of drag) from larger tires will not be fully corrected by a gear swap calculated only by revolutions per tire rotation. 33's would probably be the best bet, you're still going to need 4.11 or more likely a 4.56 gear to keep close to the same performance, but you're going to be shotgunning gasoline.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by princejo
I'm gonna warn you that even if you re-gear your truck, 35 inch tires are going to be too big for your V6. The rolling resistance and increased height (and what it does to your front cross section in terms of drag) from larger tires will not be fully corrected by a gear swap calculated only by revolutions per tire rotation. 33's would probably be the best bet, you're still going to need 4.11 or more likely a 4.56 gear to keep close to the same performance, but you're going to be shotgunning gasoline.
Thanks for the info. I was kind of afraid of that. So sound's like I'm limited to a 33" tire. So with the bigger gears I'm going to be going through gas a lot, or either way with or without the gears?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive talked to a guy who has a 4.2 v6 with 36in swampers, has done little mod and no regear (has 3.55) he might even be on the forum. I think he said he gets 12-15 maybe a little more mpg....I have 33/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on my truck with 3.31 gears and its not to bad, gas isnt that bad either only depends if I drive city or highway goin to regear soon anyways. Mine is a 07 V6 XL, have dual exhaust and AS 2.5 leveling kit.....ive got pictures on here just look in the newer f150 part and im in there i believe haha.....if you have any questions shoot me a message......and Im planning on running 35s, if my friends only ranger can run 35s fine our trucks can

Quick Reply: Will it hurt to buy my gears first?