Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Whole lotta problems with 2006 F150 5.4L V8.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whole lotta problems with 2006 F150 5.4L V8.

New member to F150 here and this is my first thread. I've been searching through and trying to find some information, but I feel that specific recommendations for my vehicle would be more helpful. So I'm posting about it.

I've had my 2006 F150 for about almost 2 years now. It is just going over 145k miles. It has run well and hasn't had any mechanical failures... but here are the issues. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Last case scenario, I'll just go to a dealership, but I want to be prepared first.

1. The alternator died about 10 months ago and I had to get a new battery too. It's been fine for awhile, but now it has started to die again. Could this possibly be faulty wiring? Last time it died I heard the fuel pump clicking. Could it be a bad pump?

2. There is a loud noise that happens somewhere just over 2000rpm and 50+mph. It sounds like a loud resonance. I just noticed it happening after I installed a K&N cold air intake. (I can get a video if needed).

3. There is another noise that also happens when there is enough stress on the engine. It sounds like a hiss, kind of like the sucking of the intake, but that's not it. I originally thought it was a broken air line somewhere, but I've not been able to find anything. It could also be something wrong with a belt/chain. (This will be hard to video).

4. Not all the time, but sometimes, especially when lower on fuel, there is a really bad engine knock when idling. It happens cyclically and jerks the whole truck. It is also very loud. It kinda sounds like putting a pair of shoes into the dryer. Could this be the cam/phasor problem that the 5.4L has? (I can video this).

5. I get awful gas mileage. I'm barely over 10-11mpg. I don't drive aggressively, although most of my driving is city.

Lastly, I'd like to get my engine rebuilt/tuned or whatever. Headers and the likes. I'm not exactly sure what all I should get done at 150k miles to keep it running strong for a long time. Please make recommendations. Also, should I get them done at a dealership or by a mechanic shop?

Also, I'm located in upstate South Carolina. So if there are any experts out there in the area, I'd pay a fee for some of your time to help.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi and welcome. First off, most of your issues and claimed issues are not a rare thing on the forum so you are in luck for a boat load of advice and ideas.
1. Check your FPDM, this is on the rear crossmember above the spare. These tend to corrode.
2. That K&N intake will make that resonant sound of which you are talking because there is no baffling inside the intake to quiet down the engine noise.
3. Check the couplings and seals around the entire intake setup for leaks.
4. Possibly chain slap from a loose tensioner but I'm not sure about that. Someone else will surely have more advice on that than I.
5. When did you last change your spark plugsand COPs. This could lead to bad gas mileage along with changing your oil regularly. Also replace your fuel filter if you havent done that recently.
Hope this is a good start and more people may chime in. This is all based on my experience and isn't 100% because I'm not there to actually see it.

Quick Reply: Whole lotta problems with 2006 F150 5.4L V8.