Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Who has experienced issues with their steering binding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Who has experienced issues with their steering binding?

Sigh, the common issues with the 2004-2008 trucks are beginning to rear their ugly head . Several months ago my fuel control module took a crap (at least it was a cheap $60 fix), now my steering is binding up. This next fix won't be a cheap one, the shaft costs $216 shipped :
Amazon.com: Lower Steering Shaft OEM BRAND NEW: Automotive Amazon.com: Lower Steering Shaft OEM BRAND NEW: Automotive

Called 2 dealerships and was quoted $265 and $295 respectively, needless to say I won't be doing business with them. I soaked the u-joints on the shaft with Kroil and it worked for the meantime. It was becoming ridiculously difficult to turn the steering wheel and not only is this issue related to the F150, but apparently it also affects Expeditions and Crown Victorias as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you get a loud squeaking from the steering before it bound up? Mine is and sometimes it feels like it's putting a strain on the motor and the revs drop til it almost dies. Wonder if this is my problem.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Mines been like that for years now.

IMO the trick is to soak with a good solution to break the rust first. Have someone turn the wheel side to side while you soak both joints. Let that sit for a hour or two.

Then go back and hit it the same way with a good lubricant that inhibits rust and corrosion. I like Fluid Film myself.

Doing both, break free corrosion then lubricating seems to get a much longer period between it sticking.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutless009
Did you get a loud squeaking from the steering before it bound up? Mine is and sometimes it feels like it's putting a strain on the motor and the revs drop til it almost dies. Wonder if this is my problem.
The steering shaft u-joints shouldn't make any noise or cause the engine rpm to drop. Do you have this problem at low speeds/idle where the motor bogs down?

Quick Reply: Who has experienced issues with their steering binding?