Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

When the headlights are on the truck won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When the headlights are on the truck won't shift out of park

I have a 2005 xlt that won't shift out of park when my headlights are on. If I turn them off I can shift out of park and then turn them back on when I need them. Also the gage lights aren't working and when the headlights are on both turn signal light indicators are on and stay on solid and dont blink if the lights are on. Even though I dont have my turn signals on. I have replaced the brake switch and the shift interlock solenoid but it didn't fix it. I'm thinking it has to be electrical and have checked a bunch of the grounds but haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary. Is there a specific ground I need to check or is it something else? I checked all my fuses and they look fine. I swapped all my relays around and nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help sorry about the novel.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Do you have standard headlights, aftermarket headlights, halogen bulbs, LED bulbs, HID bulbs/ballasts?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Just the stock headlights.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Are there any wiring modifications that you or someone else has done? I just found a thread that talks about someone doing a less than stellar wiring job on some KC lights, removed the lights, and get the same issues as you do. Here's a link to the thread and what they found.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/new-for...lights-223704/
Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 PM

I saw this thread too. There isn't anything like that. Everything to my knowledge is stock.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by comer88888
I saw this thread too. There isn't anything like that. Everything to my knowledge is stock.
I'd almost guarantee there's some wire under there in a bad spot. Basically what it sounds like is happening is the solenoid is getting power from two locations. When your headlights are on it's seeing power from there, and from the brake pedal. This power is keeping it engaged. When the brake pedal is depressed it no longer sees power from there, but it is still getting power from the headlight switch wiring so it is keeping it locked. Have you pulled the kick panel off and inspected your wiring?

It also makes sense why your headlights are freaking out because they're being back fed from the brake pedal.

As far as your gauge lights being out, did that start when this issue started or had they been out?

Did you just buy this truck or have you had it a while?
Old 09-11-2018, 03:08 PM

I've taken out the kick plate and didn't notice anything at a glance when I get home I will give it a really good look. I've owned the truck almost 2 years and the gauge lights have worked up until this started on Saturday. On Saturday I had my boat hooked up then I took it off and went and got a car wash. I am wondering if either the trailer lights shorted something or if something got wet when I washed it. I didn't spray under the hood though just drove through a gas station car wash.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by comer88888
I've taken out the kick plate and didn't notice anything at a glance when I get home I will give it a really good look. I've owned the truck almost 2 years and the gauge lights have worked up until this started on Saturday. On Saturday I had my boat hooked up then I took it off and went and got a car wash. I am wondering if either the trailer lights shorted something or if something got wet when I washed it. I didn't spray under the hood though just drove through a gas station car wash.
Okay, I retract my statement about shoddy wiring then. Check out your trailer plug. I took my '07 through a mud hole and tore the plug up (packed it full of mud, and ripped the wires out of the back). When I put it in reverse, all of the lights came on in the cab, that's how I initially knew I had a problem. The wires that pulled out were caked together with mud. Check your wires to make sure none are pulled loose, and that there's nothing inside the plugs.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I think you have ground problems

Keep cleaning grounds on both pillars . Seems to me with headlights on you don't have enough grounds to retract shift interlock . Its not getting enough . power to retract .
The following users liked this post:
Unlimited HP (01-15-2023)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM

I'm having this same issue with my 2004 F150. You posted it started after washing it mine started after a very heavy day of rain. Also in the steering column next to the lever that locks the tilt wheel I found a charged green and purple wire I have fixed the wire but it didnt fix the problem I'm curious if you have found the problem

Quick Reply: When the headlights are on the truck won't shift out of park