Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What Fuel do you guys run?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Question What Fuel do you guys run?

I'm having a timing job done with a trusted, well educated mechanic. Today he called and asked who has been servicing my truck and wants me to come look at the oil he has drained. He says there is quite a bit of moisture in the oil. He said its not green and I haven't noticed a drop in coolant so he thinks its the fuel I'm running. I usually run the cheap unleaded, usually super I think. He thinks that the winter mix of higher alcohol fuel is leaving more moisture in my system. So I'm just curious what everybody on here runs?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,576 Likes on 6,195 Posts

91 octane from Caseys
The following users liked this post:
BadFish523 (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenG
I'm having a timing job done with a trusted, well educated mechanic. Today he called and asked who has been servicing my truck and wants me to come look at the oil he has drained. He says there is quite a bit of moisture in the oil. He said its not green and I haven't noticed a drop in coolant so he thinks its the fuel I'm running. I usually run the cheap unleaded, usually super I think. He thinks that the winter mix of higher alcohol fuel is leaving more moisture in my system. So I'm just curious what everybody on here runs?
Stop using that cheap Walmart oil..lol
Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM

LOL well the Ford Dealer I take it to for service says they use only Motorcraft syn blend. I better not find out they're using something different! I know they use the correct filter because I've checked that.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm curious as to why he would think your fuel is the cause. In over 40 years of working with auto and motorcycle engines I've never heard that.

Water is a normal byproduct of internal combustion. Regardless of what gas you use, some will work it's way into the crankcase regardless. When your engine reaches normal operating temperatures, the water evaporates.

Barring any physical defects (head/intake gaskets, cracked block, etc.) it's most likely you simply are not getting your engine up to normal temperature for an extended period, and the moisture accumulates over time rather than being burned off. You usually see evidence of this around your oil filler tube or on the bottom of the filler cap. If your oil is actually milky, something is definitely wrong.

As for what fuel, I run 87 octane from wherever. If you're engine is stock, anything over that is a waste of money, and could even degrade your catalytic converter.
The following users liked this post:
BadFish523 (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:23 PM

He said higher alcohol content would lead to higher moisture. I bet you hit the nail on the head though. My daily drive to and from work is all of a mile maybe.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 3,010 Likes on 1,668 Posts

My daily drive to and from work is all of a mile maybe.
I think that's the exact reason right there. My drive to work is about 10 miles each way. When it's really cold I'm just barely at normal operating temp about a mile or two before I arrive.

As far as fuel, I fill up with 87 at the same Mobil station just about every time. It's close to home and their prices are better.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Whatever the cheapest regular around town is, all year long, living in Northeast. Never had any problems.

It's not coolant, and he at least hasn't reported any rust happening from it, so what's the big deal?

I've dealt with a few of these "well educated mechanics" before with my car and truck, that like to nit-pick all the little things that don't matter. Not to say your guy is one of these guys, but unless he gives you a believable reasonable explanation why water droplets would be a cause for concern, I'd tell him to just finish the timing job.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

You'll have moisture buildup on short drives like that. If you ever pull your oil cap off and look underneath it, you'll see a white creamy sludge because the motor hasn't been running at temp long enough to evaporate the moisture off.

i've never heard of fuel being the root cause of that either, but to answer your question I run 87 octane from Chevron as much as possible. I stay away from the cheap places because my truck runs noticeably different when using off brands.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Talked to the mechanic he agreed short trips. No rust engine is slightly gunked up but nothing bad. He is back at it. Passenger side guide was broke at the bottom. Not a lot but I'm having him pull the pan and clean it out. She'll be back running in no time. Thanks for the input guys. Now to figure out how to get the engine warm on my way home.

Search this Thread