Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What to do with my truck... Shocks/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Default What to do with my truck... Shocks/Tires

Well my daily driver (stock plus flowmasters) has been driven pretty hard... Got it in november with 86K on it with a fresh tranny and new HT tires... Well now at 110K the tires are about shot. I drive country gravel roads A LOT out here with my work in home health PT... My shocks are wearing out, between that and HT tires, I feel every bumb.

I am gonna buy Nitto Terra Grapplers but am debating the idea of shocks... I like the idea of the Bilstein leveling shocks with 35" tires but is really not a necessity; also will put a dent in my MPGs... Thinking stuffin 33s on stock rims and going with a good stock sized shock...

I am going to do the dreaded tune up here in the next few weeks. Also clean up the TB and maybe do a gotts mod with a cleanable air filter... Replace the belts... Been keeping up with the fuel filter and oil changes... Unfortunately the truck is burning about a qt and a half of oil between every 4-5K...

Gonna dump my flows soon to as the driver side tip has came loose... Been wanting to do that for a while, now I have a reason!

Other than that, the truck has been a good 'un!

Welp that's my update on this 04 FX4... Just trying to keep it running another 100K...

Last edited by TxOutlaw; 07-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're doing heavy mileage then I'd stick with the 33's. As you said, putting on 35's will just drop your fuel economy and add to the price of tire changes. It would also kill your ability to tow unless you re-gear and I (personal preference) wouldn't spend money on regearing a 110K truck.

I'd recommend the 33's plus some nice shocks. I know everyone likes to pimp the Bilsteins, but if you don't need a leveling shock then I wouldn't spend the money on them. Go to a local store and pick up a Bilstein truck shock next to a Rancho or ProComp. The Bilstein shock rods are tiny in comparison and the shock weighs about a third less. The Rancho's are beefy, and hearing stories from my local 4WP's mechanics, they have waaay less warranty issues than with Bilstein, which is very picky about covering warranty repair.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

OK. Will look at some different shocks. I have yet to hold a set of bilstein shocks so I will look around.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: What to do with my truck... Shocks/Tires