Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

well i got hit.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default well i got hit.....

well after 2 years of having my truck 04 150 with out and major problem. i bought it used with 20k and now have 80k on it. it was acting a little sluggish so i was planning on a tune up. well knowing about the spark plug issue that i was unaware of until i started reading about it here.

so i do some reasearch... find a shop that is aware of the tsb that ford has out... and bam.... all but one plug comes out...and it has to be the rear plug on the right side... and its not just the metal sleeve that got stuck. the porclen snapped too.... so the 300 tune up... is now costing me 3000 to have the motor pulled and the head removed...

i still dont get how we uasuly have to pay for things shops break... dont they have insurance for this kinda of stuff? anyway... they are gonna start it on monday and hope to have it back by tursday. only thing that has me some what same right now besides the rum and cokes.. is the car rental place can rent me a newer 150 for like 35 bucks a day.....

anyone have any info if ford has a documented number of this issue or has anyone filed some type of class action suit that may result in gettin some type of compsation for this spark plug issue?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait a minute. The shop broke the plug, and they are charging you to fix it? That don't seem right. You might want to find one of them snakes (lawyer) that has a free consultation and see what he says.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GMan
wait a minute. The shop broke the plug, and they are charging you to fix it? That don't seem right. You might want to find one of them snakes (lawyer) that has a free consultation and see what he says.
I agree! They broke the plug on a routine tune-up and they are charging you to do the extra work? Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You say they knew of the TSB. Did they have a copy of it and did they refer to it while doing the plug change? If they do have it onhand then they should know how to try and remove the left over plug and should have the removal tool on hand as well before going straight to pulling the heads.

http://www.etoolcart.com/06152.pdf

Also here's a video of how to remove the broken plugs. Click on video 26 to view the video. If a screen comes up where you need to login or register, you don't have to register for the site, just click on the link. Then click on Register Now. When the next screen opens, select videos on the top menu. Go to episode 26 and you're good to go.

http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4

If I were you I'd talk to the shop and refer them to this video before they go pulling the heads and see if they followed the TSB. If they told you they knew about it, but didn't follow it then I think you have more of a case for you to get them to pay for the everything except a normal spark plug change fee.