Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Well...about to tear into the cam phasers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well...about to tear into the cam phasers

2004 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L 148000km - Just bought the truck at auction (in Canada) and while idling in the parking lot I quipped to myself..."gee that's weird - it almost sounds like a diesel".

After checking this forum for a another issue i was having with the truck, I started reading about others' experiences with diesel sounds, knocks, ticks,and clacks. I just about plotz when I called the local dealers for estimates on cam phaser repairs. The cam phasers alone are $800 each - not including labor. Ooooooookay, no wonder this truck found itself at auction.

I consider myself fairly handy with tools, and the cam phaser can be bought reasonably cheaply online (tascaparts looks like the cheapest), so I ordered the timing chain wedge and the plan is currently to tear into the sucker and see what I can see. I dont know anything about the truck's history, so I have no idea what the previous owner may or may not have done or replaced. I'm going to open the valve covers up and check for anything loose or gummed up thats not supposed to be and then make my parts-required list. The truck will likely be out of commission for a month or so while I wait for parts - but its no biggie I still have my previous vehicle to drive. I've also already ordered the plugs and removal tool so that I can do that "fun" job at the same time.

To anyone else that's attempted the repair on their own - any tips? Are the old cam phasers repairable (i've read about the spring repair, but it lacked details on where to stick the spring). What's different between the "old" and "new" designs? I've also heard differing stories on whether or not you need to remove the tension on the cams from the valve springs prior to removing the phasers - is that really necessary or just more convenient? I've also heard that the cams need to be removed to get enough slack on the timing chain to remove the phasers. Is that correct? I dont have the valve compressor special tool and it costs a pretty penny to get. It looks like i have to remove some A/C hoses...is that really necessary and are there any issues with refilling once complete?

Any advice, even if you think it might go without saying, would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Well...about to tear into the cam phasers