Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Weird vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird vibration

Started noticing that my truck has a weird vibration when going 45+mph. Weird thing is it doesn't do it all the time, but has become more common. Sort of feels like I'm constantly driving over small bumps, can feel it through the steering wheel as well as gas peddle and can even see my wipers shaking. I thought it might have been my tires, but after it continued to happen after I got new tires that ruled that out. Truck has 106k on it, it's an '04 with a 4.6. When it's doing this, it doesn't feel like my truck has a lot of pep to it when I push on the gas more.

Can't think of anything else to list to help pin point what the problem might be. I can say it is getting VERY annoying.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Did the front end get inspected when you had the tires put on? Maybe a u-joint acting up, time to crawl under that truck and start grabbing and shaking.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Yes, they did do an inspection but the only thing that they showed me needed taken care of was the lower ball joints, both had rips in them. Otherwise nothing else was mentioned.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sounds like you have a missfire, does your check engine light flash or stay on?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Nope, no check engine at all. I've put over 30,000 miles on this truck and have never touched the coils or spark plugs, so I'm not sure if they have ever been changed. It's on the to do list just have been waiting for the weather to get better.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

It could be your plugs that need changing.. When mine were going out, I thought my tranny was about to pack it in. It was really bad around 80 km/h. But I doubt that is what it is.

I know on my truck, once the brakes heat up, they grab contently. It holds my truck up on power and when I come to a stop I have to gas it to get rolling. It only happens after I have been driving for a long period of time in city traffic. So maybe its a brake issue? I have had this going on for a year and am just now getting to replacing my stuck caliper lol. Just a thought...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 PM

I'm wondering if I don't have a stuck caliper. Changes the pads last weekend and had issues getting my right rear caliper to press back in so I could slide it on. Plus braking is still a fun experience with it shuttering quite a bit. Rotors were fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoticMunky
I'm wondering if I don't have a stuck caliper. Changes the pads last weekend and had issues getting my right rear caliper to press back in so I could slide it on. Plus braking is still a fun experience with it shuttering quite a bit. Rotors were fine.
Shuttering tells me your rotors aren't fine, did you get them resurfaced, I'd bet the corner that had the stuck caliper has a warped rotor to the point where your truck is vibrating.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

So when you notice the truck doing this, pull over and (carefully) check the rotors for temperature. If a caliper is sticking - that rotor will be hot.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Rotors were turned prior to putting them back on. Next time I'm out driving and it happens I will pull over and check the temperature for all the rotors.

As far as the issue going 40+, I'm going to climb under there and check the u-joints tomorrow morning. It'll be my luck though that it's not something relatively easy and cheap to fix.

Quick Reply: Weird vibration