Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

weird "diesel sound" @ idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird "diesel sound" @ idle

This morning when I was leaving for work I went out & started my truck (2008 5.4L) and after the idle kicked down a bit it sounded like a diesel idling. A lil back ground it was cold here in KC about mid 30's and the truck was sittin over night. But when I came home and pulled in the driveway, it was quiet as usual. Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them, or was it that it was a cold morning and all the parts and pieces under the hood are not use to the cold midwest temperture changes. another thing too, I noticed that my intake manifold area is made out of plastic while on my dads 2004 F150 4.6L it is cast metal....what was up with this design?to save money and make it louder under the hood. anyways Iam completely satisfied with the truck and glad I got her!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM

I have a ford 2005 5.4l and so much for ford tough I'M getting ready to trade both my fords in . the other one is a 2006 focus I hate them. China can build a better truck then fords building lately . My 2005 f150 64000 miles makes all kinds of engine noice and all ford can say is it's normal bull
Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008Red_FX2
This morning when I was leaving for work I went out & started my truck (2008 5.4L) and after the idle kicked down a bit it sounded like a diesel idling. A lil back ground it was cold here in KC about mid 30's and the truck was sittin over night. But when I came home and pulled in the driveway, it was quiet as usual. Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them, or was it that it was a cold morning and all the parts and pieces under the hood are not use to the cold midwest temperture changes. another thing too, I noticed that my intake manifold area is made out of plastic while on my dads 2004 F150 4.6L it is cast metal....what was up with this design?to save money and make it louder under the hood. anyways Iam completely satisfied with the truck and glad I got her!
Was it like pre-combustion/pre-iginiton knocking????

Any mods or anything???
Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 PM

it was more like an internal sound. it was consistant with the idle. it sounded like if a lifter was tapping. But kinda funny that it went away the next time I drove it. Im guessin it was cold and that had somethin to do with it.I will try again tomorrow morning. btw No mods, just a K&N filter.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What viscosity oil are you running? Ford recommends the 5W-30. When it's cold outside, thicker viscosity oil takes a few warm up minutes to flow. If you are using 10W-30, that may be the situation.

How many miles are on the engine? I've been reading on these forums that the 5.4's are known for noisy lifters after some mileage in on them.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 PM

its a brand new truck! little more than 1000 miles on it. it has 5W-20 that it came from the factory with. I tried it again this morning and it was quiet. Iam thinking it may be the cold weather but will keep an ear open for it in the future then contact my service advisor!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

its a brand new truck! little more than 1000 miles on it. it has 5W-20 that it came from the factory with. I tried it again this morning and it was quiet. Iam thinking it may be the cold weather but will keep an ear open for it in the future then contact my service advisor!
Its normal...get used to it. It will happen more as you put more miles on the truck. Everybody freaks out about this. But the fact is that Ford isnt going to do anything about it. It doesnt affect how the truck runs. If u want the noise to go away either fork out the cash to have the cam phasers fixed (costs over $1,000 and is only one of the many sources of this ticking noise) and more than likely it will come back, buy another truck and be done with it, or accept it as a quirk of our beloved trucks and accept it for what it is. Sorry 2008RED_FX2..this rant isnt directed at you..im just tired of hearing people whine about Ford being ****ty because of a few problems. Mine ticks, but it runs fine otherwise, I dont plan to fix it until it breaks, I have almost 70k on my truck and so far so good.

Following links Courtesy of member Whitecrystal:

this video will explain the different noises u may be hearing from your truck...
http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4 watch episode 22. If your not routed to it. Go to videos then go to episode 22

https://www.f150forum.com/showpost.ph...48&postcount=7

TSB report >>> 06-4-7

Last edited by Buck; 11-10-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks Buck! Im not really complaining, was just seeing if this in fact was a common sound. I love my truck and I Love FORDS!!!!! I guess thats why they make radio ***** for too to drown out the various noises we get in our vehicles. Its a noise i can live with and will probally get use to not hearing!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks Buck! Im not really complaining, was just seeing if this in fact was a common sound. I love my truck and I Love FORDS!!!!! I guess thats why they make radio ***** for too to drown out the various noises we get in our vehicles. Its a noise i can live with and will probally get use to not hearing!
Like I said, that rant wasnt directed at you... You had a valid question, but u would be suprised at how often this topic pops up then there are people who come on and start bitching about how ****ty Ford is and that they are never going to buy another one because of either the spark pulg issue found in the 04-05 F150s or the ticking that a lot of these trucks have. It gets old. And if u haven't watched that whole video I recommend You watch it. It answered a lot of my questions and made me feel a lot better about the noises I was hearing.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM

I have a 2004 f150 Lariat 5.4. Bought it with 30,000 km now has 180,000 km. It still makes the engine noise but runs great. Dealers tell me it is normal and to leave it alone. They have been right. It gives me about 750km to a tank if I run to empty. I cannot be disappointed with that.

I also have a 2007 FX4, 4x4, 5.4 that is giving me trouble. It was occasionally now is more often in the last week starts to run really rough at low RPM in reverse. Only for a few seconds. I am told it could be the VCT solenoids. Any one know about this.

Quick Reply: weird "diesel sound" @ idle