Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

VMP vs Troyer tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question VMP vs Troyer tuners

OK so I was going to originally get and Edge Evo for my 07' 5.4, but after much education from you all I have decided against it. After looking at the VMP and Troyer SCT tuners i think i will be getting one of these. I like the fact that you can order as many custom tunes as you want and not pay for them, where the Gryphon tuner is $30 a piece for custom. Plus I've heard the SCT tuners are better on the transmission by many people and local mechanics. My question for you all is, who has one of these tuners and what are your thoughts on them? How is customer service and most importantly hows your truck's performance?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why you think SCT is easier on the transmission, but Troyer's delivery time is 10-16 weeks.

VMP seems to have a good reputation and much better delivery times.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
NashBulldawg

[quote=shotgun;423010]Not sure why you think SCT is easier on the transmission, but Troyer's delivery time is 10-16 weeks.

VMP seems to have a good reputation and much better delivery times.[/q

I'm going off what the Tech at the dealership and a local shop mechanic has told me about the edge and transmissions. Also if you look at most of the posts on here about people complaining about messed up transmissions and tuners, most of the time they say they have the Edge. Might just be me being paranoid but if other people are posting it on more than one occasion i dont know if i want to take the chance!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

You might be right, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Edge specifically states their units are for stock only.

The Gryphon is specifically designed for non-stock trucks and can be custom tuned.

You'd also need to compare how many of the Edge trucks (with tranny failures) had oversized tires or other drivetrain related mods...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

sct tunes are not free
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by azmidget91
sct tunes are not free
After reading again you are partially right.....Troyer tunes are not free, but VMP will give you as many free tunes within the 6 month service window after you get the SCT tuner from them. Which is the timeframe where all of my Mods will be finished so in esence they are free. But if one company is better than the other based on reviews form people who have them i would lean toward buying from them.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly they have the edge, those of us running Bill's tunes have a GRYPHON, not an edge...its completely different tunes.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

And Bill offers tune changes for mods up to a year after receiving your tunes...there's a reason the edge is so successful, Bill was one of the head designers and techs...
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by bossman15
And Bill offers tune changes for mods up to a year after receiving your tunes...there's a reason the edge is so successful, Bill was one of the head designers and techs...

Here's my issue with the Gryphon... i sent two emails in Dec and two more in Jan and still have yet to recieve a response to any of my questions. I know they had wierd family schedules due to stuff in the family but its now march and i still havent head from them. I even called last month during one of their in office days/hours and got no answer. I emailed Justin at VMP and he responded the next day. It just sets a tone when you get good customer service... I know there are a ton of loyal PHP/Gryphon fans out here but i have yet to see what they see.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
After reading again you are partially right.....Troyer tunes are not free, but VMP will give you as many free tunes within the 6 month service window after you get the SCT tuner from them. Which is the timeframe where all of my Mods will be finished so in esence they are free. But if one company is better than the other based on reviews form people who have them i would lean toward buying from them.
Not quite correct. You can buy the x3 with the canned tunes. Or you can buy the x3 with 3 custom tunes for about $30-$50ish more. He will work with you on the tunes for 6 months so you are happy with them. But you have to more money if you want more than 3 custom tunes.

I have the x3 from VMP and have no complaints after 3 months. The gryphon is modified edge tuner. The real difference is it now has custom tunes on it. The regular edge tuner with canned tunes is what is most likely the cause of the tranny problems you may have read about.

Bottom line they are both good. It boils down to another chevy/ford style debate. My tuner from VMP showed up in less than 2 weeks. The troyer tuners can take up to 3 months!? just what I have read.

Quick Reply: VMP vs Troyer tuners