Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Very slow brake fluid leak, every 10,000 miles low

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Very slow brake fluid leak, every 10,000 miles low

Over the 23,000 miles I have owned my 2004 I had to fill the brake reservoir twice when the brake light came on the dash (Initially I thought I left the parking brake on), second time was today.

Looked around, didn’t see anything wet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

I would bet the master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster. I have had this problem on 2 previous ford vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruski:
HubFord (08-22-2017), redfishtd (09-04-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Like Dem said, pull the vacuum hose off the booster and check the inside of the hose for an oil film.

And I have also seen a caliper piston leak slightly and the heat from the brakes evaporate the fluid.
Back of the pad was nasty.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Well as pads wear down the pistons suck in more fluid

How are your pads if they are thinning down ,fluid goes down with them . Some people wear down brakes faster than others .
Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redfishtd
How are your pads if they are thinning down ,fluid goes down with them . Some people wear down brakes faster than others .
Read his post, He had to refill the master 2wice in 23,000 miles.....
Thats not pad wear......
Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

x2 - This was going to be my suggestion as well.

The brake system is designed to be "closed" meaning you shouldn't have to add fluid. Only problem is if they are worn, you'll need a syringe or turkey baster to draw all that extra fluid you put in out or it will all overflow out when you compress the calipers.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

My rear left side brake line rusted out.
Started slow, like yours but went completely out a few weeks later.

Road Salt kills them.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Reservoir not very big --but this does sound like a leak starting

I have to add every 20k or so, I haven't really keyed it to mileage . My calipers have 2 pistons each which takes lots of fluid as they expand .I use ceramic pads as the dust from the others was not tolerable . Softer pads wear down faster ,some people ride their brakes .
I tow large loads, my biggest has electric brakes , I wish my enclosed trailer did . In fact I am going to check on the cost today to covert it .
Luckily I don't live in salt country . This does seem like a leak of some sort .
And my motto is stopping more important than going . If you ever fought a loss of brakes in a desperate situation you know what fear is . Not only for your own life but hurting someone else .
My emergency brakes have saved me several times , these on f150's need to be exercised ,use the them or lose them ,they corrode up and freeze . Practise using them before you need them .
You guys in salt country need to get your underside soap washed during winter as often as you can .
Spend your money on brakes ,steering, engine , bling and electronics in that order-- stay in balance .
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I have to add every 20k or so, I haven't really keyed it to mileage . My calipers have 2 pistons each which takes lots of fluid as they expand .I use ceramic pads as the dust from the others was not tolerable . Softer pads wear down faster ,some people ride their brakes .
I tow large loads, my biggest has electric brakes , I wish my enclosed trailer did . In fact I am going to check on the cost today to covert it .
Luckily I don't live in salt country . This does seem like a leak of some sort .
And my motto is stopping more important than going . If you ever fought a loss of brakes in a desperate situation you know what fear is . Not only for your own life but hurting someone else .
My emergency brakes have saved me several times , these on f150's need to be exercised ,use the them or lose them ,they corrode up and freeze . Practise using them before you need them .
You guys in salt country need to get your underside soap washed during winter as often as you can .
Spend your money on brakes ,steering, engine , bling and electronics in that order-- stay in balance .
Might want to do a little research... when I had my super duty they said no ceramic pads if you tow heavy loads......here is an article about brake pads..... it says that also !https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...lic-brake-pads
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default I read it

I realize that the ceramic is hard on rotors which the article doesn't point out . I do replace my rotors now and then , I don't believe in turning rotors anymore .
Brake dust is a big problem for me . I may try semi metallic again one day .
Thanks for the review .
I try to use my trailer brakes as much as possible .