Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Valve train job 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve train job 5.4L

Hey fellas,
I am getting ready to do a timing rebuild. I was thinking about doing new lash adjusters,rollers, and maybe an oe cam depending on what I see when I get in the motor. My question is will I need new cam caps if I replace the cam? Also would it cause any problem if I replace lifters and roller followers and leave the old cams in?
04 f150 5.4L 3v 175,000 miles

thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

You should be fine, I had to replace one and left the other. All new rollers on both banks and it runs fantastic and very quiet (at least as quiet as a 5.4 can be)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts

If existing cam caps are in good condition, you can replace the cams. Replacing lash adjusters and roller rockers doesn't require installing new cams.

I installed the Ford Racing M-6529-3V lash/rocker kit when I did my timing job. Updated design that allows better oiling (larger oiling holes), lower friction on the lash adjusters, rockers are lighter and stiffer. Originally for the Mustang engine.

I believe these contribute to the quieter engine operation.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

You have an 04!!!!! Be sure to get the correct adjusters as the are different. 05+ I think uses the same but the 04 is 100% different. I found the best prices for the adjusters and rollers from fordpartsgiant.com

Also, I re-used my cams and cam caps but replaced all the adjusters, rollers, etc... while doing my timing job.

Last edited by nathan3306; 02-14-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 02-14-2019, 11:40 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Yes you can change rollers and lashs without changing cams

But all cam caps are supposed to go back exactly how they came out. I really wonder about the cam caps if you put new cams in . I think a really experienced hand may know . I would talk to a reallly good machine shop as this is really important . Let us know what you find out . It is a hole in my data base . I suppose it may depend on the condition of caps ??? I always thought they were fitted to that cam .
Yes I would want the new rollers that have oil hole pointed at roller , my lashs were the improved ones but I didn't khow about new type rollers then if available . Lashs are very flaky/ subjective to test .
Best to repalce them all . Mine had thrown one intake roller to the side but missed the cam . So I replaced all rollers and lashs . But I chose to put cams back with all rollers installed at the timing point with lobes(cyl 1 and 5) pointed per ford book at timing point then put chains on . Very carefully sneaking up to final torque in sequence per ford . That $$$ valve tool sucks .
Keep us posted
Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Amazon Amazon

50 bucks
Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

As the cams and caps wear together (which is why they must be re-installed exactly where they came from) with the caps liable to exhibit more wear (aluminum softer than steel), I certainly wouldn't reuse them if installing new cams. That being said, you'd get to a point where the heads' towers may be more worn than the cams, requiring replacement of the heads. Unless the cams were really damaged (more than visual wear, and even more than subtle finger-nail catching), I'd be inclined to leave everything as-is, replacing just the adjusters and followers. Best to cross that bridge when you get there; take it apart and assess what you have. With higher mileage, there will be some wear present and to be expected. Mine exhibited visual scoring but could barely catch a thumbnail, so I made sure to re-installed the cams and caps exactly how they came off, and I'm not going to worry about it with how smooth and quiet it now is. All my followers and adjusters were perfectly fine upon inspection but were replaced anyway, simply because I was in there, and are both smaller with more moving parts than a simple camshaft. New cams would also require a specific break-in procedure, which can result in disaster if not done correctly.

The followers have a re-angled oil orifice, and with a smaller hole than the originals ('04 at least) did, as this both better directs oil flow AND increases oil pressure, so I certainly wouldn't go backwards to a larger orifice again.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM

I appreciate the feedback! If the cams or cam caps aren’t worn I will probably leave it be, And change the lash adjuster and rollers.

I will post back when I finish. I am still gathering parts and tools at the moment. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I don’t have any chewed up cam caps or ground down rollers!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
As the cams and caps wear together (which is why they must be re-installed exactly where they came from) with the caps liable to exhibit more wear (aluminum softer than steel), I certainly wouldn't reuse them if installing new cams. That being said, you'd get to a point where the heads' towers may be more worn than the cams, requiring replacement of the heads. Unless the cams were really damaged (more than visual wear, and even more than subtle finger-nail catching), I'd be inclined to leave everything as-is, replacing just the adjusters and followers. Best to cross that bridge when you get there; take it apart and assess what you have. With higher mileage, there will be some wear present and to be expected. Mine exhibited visual scoring but could barely catch a thumbnail, so I made sure to re-installed the cams and caps exactly how they came off, and I'm not going to worry about it with how smooth and quiet it now is. All my followers and adjusters were perfectly fine upon inspection but were replaced anyway, simply because I was in there, and are both smaller with more moving parts than a simple camshaft. New cams would also require a specific break-in procedure, which can result in disaster if not done correctly.

The followers have a re-angled oil orifice, and with a smaller hole than the originals ('04 at least) did, as this both better directs oil flow AND increases oil pressure, so I certainly wouldn't go backwards to a larger orifice again.
If my cams do need replaceing it seems like the safest route would be to buy all new caps and break the cams in properly.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by CKsBAT
You should be fine, I had to replace one and left the other. All new rollers on both banks and it runs fantastic and very quiet (at least as quiet as a 5.4 can be)
Did you reuse the cam caps on the side you put a new cam in?

Quick Reply: Valve train job 5.4L