Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Upgrade Wish List and Questions YOU Might Help Me With...Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Wish List and Questions YOU Might Help Me With...Please :)

So basically I'm making this thread because I always lose track of my posts on forums, hoping that it will make my research easier as I go to avoid truck downtime...I work out of town for a living and have a small window for upgrades. So although I use the search button (above, third button from the right), please keep in mind that I might be re-asking a question due to a conflict in answers on this or another forum. Please be patient with me.

To start, I just picked up an 07 SCAB XLT 4.6L in may. Had 32,000km on it, so hopefully worth sinking money into. Its my first real truck. I'll post pics as soon as I can get my wife to lend me her camera.

Anyway, to the list! Wife gave me the "OK" to lift the truck haha!

Leveling Kit:

Either the Bilstein 5100 or blocks/spacers.
Guy I work with said that if I do the bilstein route I'll still need to use blocks and something about the torsion bars as well otherwise it will ride like a pig. If someone can confirm/deny/explain this I would appreciate it as I would like to do this in the next month or 2.

Tires:

Going to stick with the stock wheels for now, since I do like how they look. Priced out a set of BFG A/T's, 305/65R18 and there just over $1800CDN installed. I haven't heard a lot about them. I know they look good but I want something functional as well. Good for On/Off road, but not going to make my long trips miserable with the tires droning. Open to suggestions if there are other brands I should consider.

Also, would a 305/65R18 fit or would rubbing be a major issue using stock wheels? What about before/after leveling?

Exhaust:

Now, I know the 4.6 and 5.4 are different powerwise, but is there a sound difference from exhaust? I was looking at going with a Borla exhaust. What difference in sound will I notice going from stock to say true dual rear? Side exit (in front of rear tire)?

Programmer:

This is a given for me. Going with a Gryphon system. Like how easily it can be customized and how it takes my individual mods into account.

Lights:

Gotta dig up a front end to put some driving lights on. Headlights are great as is, but I love how driving lights look. Also, drying to find a way that I can mount some Driving Force/Hella/PIAA bush lights on the front without cluttering the look. If anyone knows a site with bazillions of styles, I have given up on google...although I probably went past a great one.

So yeah, theres the start of my project. Like I said, my first truck. Been a car guy (Honda's and a stupid chevy optra hb...blah). This truck actually suits me (6'3"...I LOOK NORMAL IN THE FRONT!!!). Please, keep your posts helpful. Hoping to finish most of it over the winter in the hopes of some fun in the mud come spring with my buddies (who knew you have to LEARN how to 4x4...thought you just step on it in big puddles).

Thanks in advance. Sorry to be long winded but, you made it to the end! Looking forward to showing progress and all the great advice I know I can find here.

Last edited by DaJokr; 11-08-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Should have also mentioned its 4x4. My bad.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Leveling Kit:
I think the guy you work with is mistaken about the torsion bars, as I'm pretty sure these trucks do not have Torsion bars, my 06 SCrew doesnt even have them.

Also if your open to suggestions on lifts, I would like to reccomend the Skyjacker 3" suspension lift. I picked it up for $450(American Dollar) and installed it myself in my driveway saving $500. It doesn't require any modding of your truck so you can always return to stock if the occasion ever arose. However it might be out of the question for you as I don't think stock wheels will work with the lift, need a wheel with a maximum of 4.5" backspacing.

Tires:
I would definately reccomend Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs! I hear absolutely no noise at any speed with them in a 275/70/18 (33"). They perform great on the road and off, and look super aggressive too!

Programmer:
Good choice! No other suggestions here.

Exhaust:
I don't know enough on this subject to comment sorry

Lights:
Researching this myself and I'm considering KC HiLites Slimlite series Off-Road Lights, to mount on my Westin Ulitmate Bull Bar.

If you wanna see some pics of the items I mentioned check out my "Garage" for pics of my truck

Quick Reply: Upgrade Wish List and Questions YOU Might Help Me With...Please :)