Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Under hood switched/acc circuit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 PM
Awsome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question Under hood switched/acc circuit?

Want to install a couple 15-cell LED light strips on the front grill to act as DRLs. Is there a circuit under the hood that's easily accessed to tap into anyone would suggest? I'd like these to be "on" anytime the ignition is "on", serviced by an existing fused circuit. My truck has a small fuse and relay box on the left inner fender, by the air intake, but it only has a 5 amp fuse in it and I'm not really sure what all those connections are for.

I know I can always run something from the main fuse block under the driver's dash, but was thinking there might be something closer. Suggestions? Thanks.

FWIW, I noticed I have several open relay slots in that fender block, and an open fuse slot inside the cab, all marked in the owner's manual as being for DRLs. I'm guessing I cannot just plug in the right relays and a fuse and have real DRLs, right? Seems like I asked about this 10 years ago and the dealer laughed...said I needed a $300 module or whatever.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

i did find a wire for that after searching the wonder lands of google.
i would have to take a picture of it tomorrow, but it is red and yellow and part of one of the 3 big bundles going to the computer :0 i know, scary right?
don't know what it belongs to exactly , but at the time of the search i was running out of options in whatever thread i found at that time on whatever forum , they had gone back and forth a few times and at least stated that nothing had seemed to gone bad after a few years use...
only difference i noticed since is that my radio signal deteriorates a little when on. it's an aftermarket unit if that maters ...
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Awsome

Originally Posted by danlexani
i did find a wire for that after searching the wonder lands of google.
i would have to take a picture of it tomorrow, but it is red and yellow and part of one of the 3 big bundles going to the computer :0 i know, scary right?
don't know what it belongs to exactly , but at the time of the search i was running out of options in whatever thread i found at that time on whatever forum , they had gone back and forth a few times and at least stated that nothing had seemed to gone bad after a few years use...
only difference i noticed since is that my radio signal deteriorates a little when on. it's an aftermarket unit if that maters ...
Thanks for the info. I'll run a new wire outta the cab before digging into those 3 bundles you mentioned. Then I can use a stand=alone fuse, too, of the right size (prob 3.5 amp). I can't imagine what you would've searched on google for to find what you did but I'll give it several tries. Easier than doing the install in a cold garage. LOL.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by drair
Want to install a couple 15-cell LED light strips on the front grill to act as DRLs. Is there a circuit under the hood that's easily accessed to tap into anyone would suggest? I'd like these to be "on" anytime the ignition is "on", serviced by an existing fused circuit. My truck has a small fuse and relay box on the left inner fender, by the air intake, but it only has a 5 amp fuse in it and I'm not really sure what all those connections are for.

I know I can always run something from the main fuse block under the driver's dash, but was thinking there might be something closer. Suggestions? Thanks.

FWIW, I noticed I have several open relay slots in that fender block, and an open fuse slot inside the cab, all marked in the owner's manual as being for DRLs. I'm guessing I cannot just plug in the right relays and a fuse and have real DRLs, right? Seems like I asked about this 10 years ago and the dealer laughed...said I needed a $300 module or whatever.
I'm guessing your truck is a 2WD because in the fender fuse box you would of found 4WD relays.. There should also be a A/C clutch relay in there as well. Mite be able to tap into one of those.

Last edited by techrep; 02-13-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Awsome

Originally Posted by techrep

I'm guessing your truck is a 2WD because in the fender fuse box you would of found 4WD relays.. There should also be a A/C clutch relay in there as well. Mite be able to tap into one of those.
It's a 4x4 so that box I mentioned in post #1 looks like your top picture. There are no relays in the slots for the DRLs which is why I wondered if I could just plunk relays in there and have the DRLs? I'll see if they are hot when the trucks on since that would save running a wire from inside the cab. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

should be able too..

Quick Reply: Under hood switched/acc circuit?