Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Uncomfortable seats- Fixed at last!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uncomfortable seats- Fixed at last!

2006 F150 with captain's seats (other years probably have the exact same issue)
First, a disclaimer (mainly because today's litigious environment makes them a necessity): ANY mods over OEM designs may increase the risk/severity of injury. By implementing these mods you indemnify author form any an all liability. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been dealing with uncomfortable seats for years; after a recent road trip in a economy rental with no discomfort, I decided enough was enough. The $10 fixes below don't turn your stock seat into a $2,000 ergomed, but they certainly eliminate about 98% of the problems with the OEM seat design. I'm only deeply disappointed I didn't think of this 9 years ago.

There are two general problems with the OEM seat and here's the fix for each:
1. Improperly designed back support
If you look at the seat support, you'll notice the following shape which compresses the upper vertebrae and causes discomfort:

_____o
______ o
______ o
______ o
______ o
______ o
o o o o o

The solution is actually quite simple and should take you MAXIMUM 1 hr to complete (I went back in for a slight adjustment which took about 20 mins):

1. Undo the clip at the base of the seat that holds the fabric cover onto the seat. You can access the clip from the rear of the seat.
2. Pull up the cloth as high as it will go. Note that there are rings holding the cloth onto the seat about 3/4 of the way up. These are quite sturdy but you still want to take care not to tear them out.
3. Get yourself 2-4 old bath towels and do the following:

a. Roll up 1 or 2 towels and place them up behind the lumbar support mechanism as high as the towel will go, but below the headrest bracket. If you go too high, you will exacerbate the design flaw and make matters worse.
b. Fold 1 or 2 towels and place them behind the lumbar support mechanism itself.

4. Make sure that that the towels are not between the tubular seat frame and the OEM seat foam to ensure everything will go back in place. This is actually quite straight forward.
5. Push the cloth back down and redo the clip.
6. Use a bit of trial and error to see if more/less is needed (as different body shapes will require more/less padding) and repeat above steps.

Note that once this fix is implemented, you'll no longer have a need to install your headrests backwards because the shape of the seat will be much more naturally aligned to fit your body.

________o
_______o
_______o
_______o
_______o
________o
o o o o o

2. Improperly designed lower support (note that this one is more involved, your easiest bet is to take it to an upholstery shop and have them add more foam). [Note that more foam won't work for Fix 1 above unless it is really high density foam as it will tend to compress and leave you right back where you started.]
1. Unbolt seat from floor pan
2. Undo wire harnesses/clips
3. Unbolt seat bottom from seat rails
4. Undo clips holding cloth onto seat
5. Undo rings holding cloth onto seat with needle nose pliers
6. Add foam padding beneath the OEM foam to desired padding level. I bought an automotive seat cushion years ago, took the foam from inside it and trimmed it to shape using scissors
7. Redo rings
8. Redo clips
9. Bolt seat onto rails
10. Redo wire harness clips
11. Bolt seat back to floor pan

As a final note, I'm convinced that one last problem with the design is the manner in which the cloth itself is attached to the seat. I've noticed the seats in my wife's Passat have stitching that is wider (and much, much, much more comfortable) whereas the F150 has stitching that narrower where your hips/butt make contact with the seat. This narrower stitching design means that the wire under support impinges on your nerves and essentially pinches them, causing lower leg pain. If I could do anything else to the seat, I would have an upholstery shop modify the spacing such that this wire support is moved outwards. This would eliminate the pressure point on your butt/legs and make the ride more enjoyable.

Incidentally, I initially ordered aftermarket seats but their custom brackets didn't fit, I didn't feel like drilling holes in the floor pan, and most aftermarket seat brackets eliminate the vertical adjustment functionality. There are others who might have come up with custom brackets to mate the aftermarket seat to oem rails, but I don't have the time to take my seats out for an extended period of time while I figure out how to make something like that work.

Good luck and happy sitting!
The following users liked this post:
mlr2287 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fix for issue #3:

As noted above, one final issue with these seats is the manner in which the cloth is held onto the seat (i.e. via hard rigid plastic that digs into your leg causing leg pain).

1. The steps to fix the same are exactly the same as for issue #2 as it pertains to taking the seat out/apart.
2. The cloth material is held onto the seat using two rigid plastic strips sewn into the cloth and the rigid strip itself is held onto the seat base with rings.
3. Simply take a razor and cut just above the plastic strip for the length of each strip (one on each side). Remove the strips from the rings and reassemble the seat as per above.

Note that this fix will permanently eliminate your ability to have the seat cloth fight super-tight against the foam under layer. For me, it was an easy decision. No more pinched nerves in the leg = worth it! I wasn't able to sit in these seats for any more than 15 minutes before discomfort set in; now, ALL of that discomfort is practically gone!

Last edited by asdfasdfasdf; 09-19-2015 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Truck541 (01-02-2018)
Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uncomfortable seat - Free at last

I purchased a 2014 FX4 in May of 2014. I ordered from the factory "exactly" what I wanted, it was to be my retirement truck so I could pull our 26 foot travel trailer and see America. After a week of driving it I began to experience paid in my lower back that would travel up my spine to my neck and then my ears would close off and i would get light headed. Needless to say After having spent 1 & 1/2 year in a very uncomfortable drivers seat, spending over 10,000 in medical expenses. This included 3 MRI's, Dr visits to neurologist, neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeons, chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncture. I have been to the upholstery shop at least 5 times and taken apart the seat myself at least 20 times. I tried adding form to the bottom in various layers, which provided some relief. I always felt like I was sitting in a deep bucket. I was trying to make the seat more like a bench seat. I have the electric seat so I could move it in many settings but none seem to really help much except when the bottom was tilted up the most. This helped some but it put a "bubble" in the back portion of the bottom cushion which felt odd, like some one goosing you, but took some of the pain away. I next took a turkey knife to the ridge in the very back of the bottom cushion seat as well as the ridge at the bottom of the back cushion. The ridges were pushing into my butt and lower back, that helped some as well but no "long term" fix. At times I could drive it with some discomfort and other times within 15 seconds of getting into the truck I was in pain. It needless to say this was driving me nuts. I had my acupuncture's look at the seat and had me sit in it, she said my knees were higher than my hip which made me more like a clam. I added more foam to the seat "again" to try and raise up the back bottom but did not help any more that it had before. Then I had a "revelation" that the front of the bottom cushion was "lipped" up and that was causing the clam effect and adding more foam to the bottom really only made it worse pushing me more forward and the safety lip pushing me back into more of a clam. I had noticed that before and the Ford dealer said the front lip was for "safety" to help in accidents so you did not slide out of the seat when hit from behind. Both my massage and acupuncture ladies had said it was my muscles in my hips that were the issue, The muscles affected were the psoas and the piriformis, but they could not determine what was causing the discomfort. I did all the stretches and they helped relieve the pain but once I got back into the truck bang it was there again. In desperation I took a turkey knife to the front safety lip and cut down making it even with the rest of the seat, eliminating the rise up of the lip and then cut back the front of the seat so that my legs when reaching down to touch the peddles were not cut into ( I have short legs). I made the seat one inch shorter and cut the angle back to make it more rounded.

After research I realized I had Piriformis Syndrone. The Pirmformis is deep inside your butt and cuts across your Sciatic never, so when it tightens it cuts into the Sciatic nerve which is very painful.

I am a CPA so I have sat in a chair for 40+ years and that has setup the problem but it was amplified by the clam effect of the seat. I know I have rambled on and on but this was driving me crazy and I have seem other postings about this issue and have talked to Simon who sent me a video of what he had done to fix his issue, I wanted to give a detailed explanation so it might help others. The FX4 was the perfect truck for us, we off road and pull the trailer and I could not take the financial hit by trading it in, trade it in on what, a Dodge or a Chevy (really?) my e-mail is redtickcpa@gmail.com if I can be of any help to others please feel free to contact me, I cannot tell you unless you are experiencing the same issue how WONDERFUL it is to be pain feel and worry free and not afraid to hit the road in comfort, thanks be to God it is the year of Jubilee.

Last edited by cparev; 12-23-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: change of title
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by asdfasdfasdf
2006 F150 with captain's seats (other years probably have the exact same issue)
First, a disclaimer (mainly because today's litigious environment makes them a necessity): ANY mods over OEM designs may increase the risk/severity of injury. By implementing these mods you indemnify author form any an all liability. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been dealing with uncomfortable seats for years; after a recent road trip in a economy rental with no discomfort, I decided enough was enough. The $10 fixes below don't turn your stock seat into a $2,000 ergomed, but they certainly eliminate about 98% of the problems with the OEM seat design. I'm only deeply disappointed I didn't think of this 9 years ago.

There are two general problems with the OEM seat and here's the fix for each:
1. Improperly designed back support
If you look at the seat support, you'll notice the following shape which compresses the upper vertebrae and causes discomfort:

_____o
______ o
______ o
______ o
______ o
______ o
o o o o o

The solution is actually quite simple and should take you MAXIMUM 1 hr to complete (I went back in for a slight adjustment which took about 20 mins):

1. Undo the clip at the base of the seat that holds the fabric cover onto the seat. You can access the clip from the rear of the seat.
2. Pull up the cloth as high as it will go. Note that there are rings holding the cloth onto the seat about 3/4 of the way up. These are quite sturdy but you still want to take care not to tear them out.
3. Get yourself 2-4 old bath towels and do the following:

a. Roll up 1 or 2 towels and place them up behind the lumbar support mechanism as high as the towel will go, but below the headrest bracket. If you go too high, you will exacerbate the design flaw and make matters worse.
b. Fold 1 or 2 towels and place them behind the lumbar support mechanism itself.

4. Make sure that that the towels are not between the tubular seat frame and the OEM seat foam to ensure everything will go back in place. This is actually quite straight forward.
5. Push the cloth back down and redo the clip.
6. Use a bit of trial and error to see if more/less is needed (as different body shapes will require more/less padding) and repeat above steps.

Note that once this fix is implemented, you'll no longer have a need to install your headrests backwards because the shape of the seat will be much more naturally aligned to fit your body.

________o
_______o
_______o
_______o
_______o
________o
o o o o o

2. Improperly designed lower support (note that this one is more involved, your easiest bet is to take it to an upholstery shop and have them add more foam). [Note that more foam won't work for Fix 1 above unless it is really high density foam as it will tend to compress and leave you right back where you started.]
1. Unbolt seat from floor pan
2. Undo wire harnesses/clips
3. Unbolt seat bottom from seat rails
4. Undo clips holding cloth onto seat
5. Undo rings holding cloth onto seat with needle nose pliers
6. Add foam padding beneath the OEM foam to desired padding level. I bought an automotive seat cushion years ago, took the foam from inside it and trimmed it to shape using scissors
7. Redo rings
8. Redo clips
9. Bolt seat onto rails
10. Redo wire harness clips
11. Bolt seat back to floor pan

As a final note, I'm convinced that one last problem with the design is the manner in which the cloth itself is attached to the seat. I've noticed the seats in my wife's Passat have stitching that is wider (and much, much, much more comfortable) whereas the F150 has stitching that narrower where your hips/butt make contact with the seat. This narrower stitching design means that the wire under support impinges on your nerves and essentially pinches them, causing lower leg pain. If I could do anything else to the seat, I would have an upholstery shop modify the spacing such that this wire support is moved outwards. This would eliminate the pressure point on your butt/legs and make the ride more enjoyable.

Incidentally, I initially ordered aftermarket seats but their custom brackets didn't fit, I didn't feel like drilling holes in the floor pan, and most aftermarket seat brackets eliminate the vertical adjustment functionality. There are others who might have come up with custom brackets to mate the aftermarket seat to oem rails, but I don't have the time to take my seats out for an extended period of time while I figure out how to make something like that work.

Good luck and happy sitting!
Thanks for sharing but I really don't understand your drawing and description of the back contour in which direction.

If you took some picture that would be helpful.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Confirming what the pic depicts... are the horizontal lines the airspace in front of the seat... and the first pic illustrates a concave seat? or... do those lines represent the body of the seat and the pic represents a convex seat?

I'm crippled up from driving my dad's 2005 lariat which i may acquire shortly. 1/2 hour or so into 3 hour drives, it feels like i'm sitting on a board.
the lumbar support does nothing really.
Trying to find good pics now of seat take down to try stuffing it. I had found them once...but now can't find them.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I don't understand how these seats are so uncomfortable to some. I've had my truck since new and I've never noticed an issue.

I drive my truck and many other vehicles daily and have also gone on many 3000+ mile trips in the truck where I'm sitting in that seat for 15 hours a day. It's always seemed fine.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

I agree. This has been the only truck that I can take road trips in, and not be in pain by the time I get there (2 herniated discs, and alot of sciatic pain.)
I will need to replace the seat bottom soon. From sliding my *** on the edge of the seat while getting in and out, I have completely wore through the foam, and the metal support is sticking out. Looks real classy.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
I agree. This has been the only truck that I can take road trips in, and not be in pain by the time I get there (2 herniated discs, and alot of sciatic pain.)
I will need to replace the seat bottom soon. From sliding my *** on the edge of the seat while getting in and out, I have completely wore through the foam, and the metal support is sticking out. Looks real classy.
That's a pretty standard problem. I might need to increase my padding soon to compensate.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I love my seats...they're flat and broad. Makes me back feel niiiiiiiiceeeeeee
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 280 Likes on 196 Posts

My solution was a lumbar pillow from Brrokstone. Works perfectly for me.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seats- Fixed at last!