Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Turns over, but wont start? 05 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turns over, but wont start? 05 FX4

I have had this truck for about a year & in this time its been fine other then emissions codes (P0442 & P0455 Small & Large Evaporative Emission System leak Detected). As emissions here arent a regular occurance I have been ignoring them until finances allowed.

Then Wednesday I drove home from work & everything was fine. Thursday morning I went out to warm up the truck & it started fine. It ran for about 8 minutes (per the T-Mobile SyncUp that normally lived in the OBD port) then died while sitting in my driveway. Since then it will turn over fine, but never start. It sounds like it wants to at times, but never does.

It should of been out of gas & I added a couple gallons just to be sure.

My neighbor has a SnapOn code scanner & it confirms that I am getting ~30psi at the rail with the key on & that jumps to around 70 when trying to start it.

After clearing the codes its returning:
Instrument Cluster Module - Memory Codes
U1950 UART Base Protocol (UBP) communication BUS Fault
B1360 Ignition Run/Accessory Circuit Open

Transfer Case - Memory Codes
B1318 Low Battery Voltage at Module

The battery in it is an Optima Red Top. The SyncUp monitors the battery voltage & it was always above 12v so I dont think its actually low battery voltage, but I still have the interstate battery that came in the truck I can put in & test.

I have also pulled the FDPM & visually checked it since when googling the symptoms multiple posts were pointing to it. There is minimal surface only corrosion on it (they dont use a lot of salt on the roads here).

What else should I be looking at here? I can afford to take it in, but it would severely hurt other financial goals so I would much rather not if I can avoid it.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Just spit balling here, bad ground? No spark? Airflow restriction? Fuel pump? Try a few sprays of starting fluid, if it wants to start then it’s fuel related, if there is no change then it’s not the fuel.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Alternator... or wires to it.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Alternator... or wires to it.
Techrep brings out a good point. A bad alternator will cause all sorts of electrical issues which could explain all the fault codes you are getting.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (02-16-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Weather was craptastic yesterday & the truck is outside so I didnt get a chance to do much. But we did find that the MAF is reading 0 volts per the scanner. I picked up another, but haven't installed it yet. I am hoping to confirm that there should be voltage.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Its been a minute since I have updated this.. A lot has gone on.. But what hasn't happened is the truck still hasn't started.

Best I can tell so far is that its a timing issue. One of the 2 mechanics I have had look at it hooked a test light to a coil & it was lighting fine, but not in a pattern like he expected. Have changed both camshaft position sensors & the crankshaft position sensor & no change at all.

The engine on my girlfriends car died as well 10 days after mine. Hers though was obvious since its a subaru & the timing belt snapped so have a new engine on the way for it. Really need to figure out what happening with this damn truck though since 2 mechanics (one current & the other is a retired fleet mechanic for an oil company) and nobody has any idea what to do next.

Quick Reply: Turns over, but wont start? 05 FX4