Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

truck wont shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default truck wont shift out of park

Hi everyone, Hope somebody can help me with this. 2004 f150 5.4. 2 days ago driving to work i noticed the turn signals and hi-beam indicator lights on the cluster were on. i stopped at the local caseys and when i came out the truck would not shift out of park. I shut the truck off and restarted and indicator lights went out and everything normal. today after work stopped to grab some stuff at the store and same thing, only several restarts would not clear problem, disconnected the battery and still same problem. left the truck and returned with my code reader, as soon as i plugged the code reader in all lights went out and all was normal. truck had no codes but as i was driving home with the A/C on, it was 88 here today, i pulled the code reader off and the A/C fan stopped. still no codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ford has a safety when one or both or the brake lights are out, it will not let the truck shift out of park. Theres a button under the steering column that can be pushed to allow you to shift. Read the owners manuel for it. As for the other electrical issues, I have no idea except to check the ground strap to make sure it is a positive connection.
The following users liked this post:
fordguy64 (05-16-2017)